depressed :( hired contractor to build walk in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wahmommy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    We hired a contractor that we've been working with for the last 8 years. He's always done great work, but he's a little bit touchy to work with- let's say you have to be very careful how you tell him things. So I hired him to build a walk in coop/run combo. I don't think he likes the project, he started it but I'm seeing a lot of weird mistakes like joins not flush etc. and now he stood me up today (yesterday too) and he's not building it the way I designed it and well, basically he's pretty hostile in a passive aggressive way to the point where I feel I can't say anything to him. The coop is about 60% built but now he's changing things and not talking to me about it and when I go look at it it's not the way I designed it. He said he was coming over today but then I said great, when you come by can we go over what you are doing on the front (I designed it to look a certain way, and he's completely changed it without discussion) and then he never showed up and didn't call. I feel like I'm stuck because if I fire him I'm sure he'll just put a lien against our house.

At this point I really wish I hadn't hired him as I was really looking forward to building this coop and now I'm losing sleep over it... glad its not a huge remodel.

Wow I am so sad.

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You can fire him, and he should not be able to put a lien on you. He is not completing the work as designed.
    You can pay him for the materials for the work completed, but sense it was no done according to your plans, you can refuse to pay labor.

If you had a written set of plans and contract, you can do the above. If not, then you will have to pay him for labor and materials, then fire him for the work already done.

3. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    Hi groundpecker - thanks for your response. I have written plans but no contract. We'd been working with him for a long time, so we didn't think we'd need a written contact. My bad. Even so, I liked him as a person before, now its just all gone bad. I feel sick to my stomach, too much stress.

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I am part owner of a construction company here in Arkansas. If we do not complete our work according to the customers specifications, they can refuse to pay for the whole job. This includes material and labor. The only stipulation is if the customer makes changes while work is in progress and does not want to pay for the changes. A written contract and plans is always a good idea, even if you have used that contractor for years. This prevents situations like yours.

5. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks groundpecker - I'm in California, so I don't know what the rules are here, but regardless I wish it didn't have to be this way. He used to be good, even if he was touchy.. but the stress on this is damaging my health. I will take your advice for the future and make sure I always have everything laid out before we start. It's hard though because I'm not a builder, just a homeowner, so I can design something and then it changes because I didn't understand some part of the construction process... I think the next time, I will give someone my plans and tell them they need to put their own notes in that I get to sign off on before we start -

The coop I designed is *really* simple though, I don't understand why he doesn't just follow the plans. And if he couldn't for some reason, I just wish he'd discuss it with me before he just changes it.

And then there's weird things going on that I can't figure out, like he mounted the nest boxes in and he left 1/4" space between the bottom and the sides that I don't see how he can fix...

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Maybe he is touchy b/c hes on drugs or drinks a lot but is worse now so slip shod work Crack addicts and some others are really touchy.
    If someone who knows what they are doing even on a simple chicken coop they can rectify gaps in the nest box or totally avoid them if he is a carpenter.

7. Young Farmer

Young Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    I own a landscape and home improvement company, I always have customers sign a contract. Even customers who have been working with me for a long time. It keeps things simple and every one is protected. Since he did have you sign a contract nor did you request one it would make me very worried as a customer. I would cut your losses, pay him for his labor and the materials used and part ways.

Learn from this and hire some one new to build it. Have a contract written that states he will follow all plans specified by you. Pay him for materials and half his labor, upon completion of the project the remainder would be paid if you are satisfied. If not then you could take him to court and because you have a contract that states how things were to be done you would most likely win.

8. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    You can also leave a review on sites like angieslist.com , yellowpages , yahoo to name a few so that others can be informed. He doesn't sound like someone I'd want to work with.

9. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would definitely contact a lawyer right away he/she can inform you of what rights based on local laws at this point and most good lawyers will do a simple consultation for free good luck I hope it works out for you

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Pay him for his work and expenses up to this point if you are concerned but I would stop it if it not what you want. You are paying for a service. You can say this is exactly what I need by this date as discussed. If you can't do it then let's part ways now. I would find someone else to finish the job and make sure they sign a simple contract.

I work as a freelancer in California. It's illustration not construction but every job I take has a contract that if my work is not approved to the client's standard I do not get paid in full even if the job is complete. Doing it right is part of any contracted work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by