1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Depressed mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by puffer, Jul 26, 2013.

1. puffer

puffer Hatching

Jul 26, 2013
    Hi all
    I'm new to this and have kept ducks for a couple of years now and I am no expert so hope some of you can help advise me
    We have a wild mallard that visits us occasionally for feed and a swim ( she was one of ours until she flew the nest around a year ago ) well she has had two lots of ducklings this year which she has unfortunately lost all , we were unaware of the first batch but the recent hatched ducklings we decided to give her as much help as we dare even walking behind her for three miles when she went to go to water but we had to rescue them after it all got two dangerous
    Well two days ago she managed to get her babies out some how and we never saw them again and are really gutted about this but mum still comes back calling them and spends hours just sitting on the pond ramp looking really depressed any advice welcome if there is anything we could try to cheer her up

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Do you have snapping turtles. they probably got the ducklings and she knows this is the last place she saw them and is waiting. I never thought ducks/ chickens would mourn but I have seen it 2X now once a couple years ago when my bantam frizzle had her only chick killed by a larger hen, she spent about a week looking for that baby calling for it, broke my heart. then last year my Muscovy hatched 2 ducklings both killed within a day of each other, first trampled by flock the other one by my mini dachshund, she moped around for at least a week too wouldn't come out of the nest where they all had been, so I know they do mourn. It will take time for her to get over it, they get into broody mode then hatch which sends them into another round of hormonal issues which take time to get over, does she has flock mates or a mate that would help a lot if she had others to be with especially a mate. So sorry for the loss of the ducklings, I would really check into the snappers though, we have seen quiet a few ducklings taken on here this year.

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Songster

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss and X2 on the snappers. I remember when my Khaki Campbell, Flighty, lost his mate - he seemed like a lost soul and kept looking for her for a few days. He was very lonely until I got him a new duck pal. The mothering instinct is strong in wild animals. I have witnessed mammals and birds in particular hang around dead young or the area where young have come up missing. Don't know what they are thinking but I am sure they are confused for a little while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by