Depressed Muscovy?

NA Muscovy

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 2, 2015
I am new to raising Muscovy's and have a question. I was given 2 drakes and 2 hens this summer that I keep on a 10 acre community pond in my backyard. 1 hen laid eggs in my neighbors yard and on September 3rd, we had 7 ducklings hatch. After 2 days, I removed the ducklings from the hen/nest and have been raising them in my house. I have since moved them outside to a predator proof pen until they reach 3 months and I can release them. When I moved them outside, the mother hen has not paid them any attention, while the other 3 go by the pen to view them. The mother hen, now doesn't roam the pond with the other 3 adult ducks, she just spends the day at the bottom of my yard at the pond alone, except when the other 3 return to my yard. I am concerned that she is depressed because I removed her ducklings. Is there anything I should do for her, or just wait and see what happens when I release the ducklings? My plan is to keep a drake and 2 hens and give a drake and 3 hens to the family that gave me the original 4 ducks. Thanks in advance.

She should get over this soon enough also the male/female ratio isnt the best I would add at least 4 more hens to the flock so the males don't end up injuring the females from breeding

Muscovies, unlike some ducks, have a bigger emotion portion of there brain. If they are close to another duck or their offspring( of course) they feel sad/depressed when they are taken away. One of my females,Farm, was depressed for months when her sister Ruddy went missing. I have no idea what got Ruddy but farm was just depressed for so long. I'm happy she pulled herself out of it because some never do and eventually stop drinking and eating and then die :( depression in ducks, especially in Muscovies is just over all bad

Back
Top Bottom