depressed, off balance, not drinking 6 month old silkie cockeral

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grannyjen, Oct 11, 2016.

1. grannyjen

grannyjen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2016
    Isolated one week and giving electrolytes with added vitamins by dropper. Got in touch with supplier, all her chicks are healthy as are two others I obtained and raised at same time. Doesn't drink on his own, will eat a little. happily eats hand fed meal worms (live). neck feathers ruffled. sits or stands in same spot, little moving around. Has always been less dominant of the two roosters, but in week prior to depression / huddling, his brother was clearly becoming more dominant. He seems thin, but no signs of sores or unusual anything. Eyes normal. No other symptoms. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may be low in the pecking order and not getting enough to eat or drink, but I would observe him for possible dehydration or coccidiosis. Look for runny or bloody poops, standing hunched or puffed up, refusing to eat, and sleepiness. Corid from your local feed store will treat coccidiosis, and a vet can test his droppings for it. Let us know if you need dosages. Take him aside and try feeding him chopped eat, wet feed with a little yogurt, all good to get him built up. Make sure that he is drinking well, and electrolytes such as SaveAChick can help.

3. grannyjen

Aug 13, 2016
    Thanks. He is inside. We are feeding meal worms and electrolyte / vitamin water by dropper. He is getting vitamin e. He is eating only a small amount, and drinking little on his own. refused egg and other options, will try feeding with a dropper tonight. Poop is completely normal. was hunched over and fluffed up; now sitting, splay legged, and is quite sleepy. He is going gradually down hill. has been eating around 10 meal worms at a try, but really quite disinterested. Eyes are bright and normal and comb colour and feathers look good. I am worried that treating him for Coccidiosis may be too distressing for his system, and really the poop doesn't look runny or odd, and has been consistently normal looking. Any other ideas?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    A photo of how he is laying down may be helpful.

Treating for Cocci will not hurt. Corid is very mild and will not distress him.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Encourage him to eat his normal feed. If you have chick starter try some of that mixed with water made into a paste. Mealworms are fine if that is all you can get into him, but he really needs a balanced poultry ration since he is ill.

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    He's sitting splay-legged?

Do you think you could send us a photo?

Do you feel like he's developing weakness on one side or the other? Are both of his pupils perfectly round or do the edges appear ragged at all?

Check him over for lice and mites, too.

Definitely continue with the vitamins... And I would treat him for Coccidiosis also.

Corid is a super gentle medication that goes in his water (or dropper). You can get it at Tractor Supply.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

6. grannyjen

Aug 13, 2016
    Thank you for all your help. He became progressively weaker and had no control of his legs yesterday and was finding it difficult to hold his head up yesterday so I made the decision to euthanize. No other signs or symptoms. Eyes fine and eating the meals and vitamin e with help. He did have lice. I have purchases lice powered for the hen house. All other birds well. One newer hen has a closed eye today. I will wash with camomile tea and apply poly.sporin. The farmer who sold the chicks thought it was wry neck. He started sleeping with his head hanging at about 10 weeks. Hey said this was an early sign. When lying on his side buckbeak could not right himself and his legs spasmodically jerk in unison. Any ideas?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Could be possible Mereks disease?

Best of Luck...

Cheers!

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry to hear this.

Marek's is a possibility.
    Did you treat for Coccidiosis to see if that would help?

If you do euthanize him, I would recommend sending him for necropsy. This will give you valuable information.

COCCIDIOSIS VIDEO (chick starts at around 1:55)
    http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html

MAREKS
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

9. grannyjen

Aug 13, 2016
    Thank you. Very informative. I did euthanize but did not do a necropsy and didn't treat for coccidiosis. I do think it was maraks on reading the description of paralysis. I guess now I just wait to see what happens with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by