1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Depressed Rooster! Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hair mama, Apr 30, 2016.

1. hair mama

hair mama New Egg

Aug 14, 2015
    I rescued my roo BBQ with his "sister" Teriyaki last summer, they were very happy until poor Teriyaki was snatched by a fox. We were all heartbroken, especially BBQ! He was SO depressed! So, I then got two hen's (a large farm was rehoming) thinking they would keep him company. Having Honey & Glaze has helped BBQ & they all live together in their coop and do fine, the hen's generally stick together but they do hang out with him sometimes....long story short.

We just got 8 chicks, which stay in their own coop & have a totally enclosed outdoor "play area"....so far, just a slight interest from the hens or BBQ. BUT the last few day's BBQ is so sad, doesn't even want his peanut treats, sits alone, doesn't run to see me when I call him, has this sad far away look in his eyes. I think he is eating & drinking but not like he normally does, he seems healthy...Idk much about chickens, he & Teriyaki were my first.

Please, any advice is appreciated! Wondering if the arrival of the chicks has caused this recent sadness!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.
    Can you post a photo?
    What does his poop look like?
    What type of foods/treats do you normally feed?
    When you say he sits alone, is he sitting a lot, laying down, does he stand with his tail down, etc.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by