Depressed Rooster??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by extranewbie, Dec 23, 2016.

1. extranewbie

extranewbie New Egg

Oct 24, 2014
    I have a 2 year old roo (he's a house chicken and has always been alone which means no flock) and today he's been quiet. He crowed a few times this morning but that's it. He eats so little and feels very light. His comb is black-ish (which has happened before. The vet told us it was because of dehydration) but he isn't drinkin water. This behaviour has only been going on for a few hours since it's early noon but it's making me anxious. I have an inkling it's because lately I haven't been allowing him as much into the house as I did because my parents threatened to give him away if I do. So he's been spending more time out in the balcony.
    Any advice? I'm getting worried.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Any photos?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    Have you had him since he was a chick?
    Where does he sleep at night?
    Does he have access to any dirt to dust bathe?

Try to encourage him to drink. A chicken can become dehydrated quickly. If he feels very light, then you may want to provide him with some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna.

Let us know how he is doing.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'm new to the first aid side of raising chickens, thankfully never had to deal with a medical situation, only recently having to deal with splayed leg/curly toe paralyze/slipped tendon or something in a 4wk old chick :( BYC members have been very helpful & I'm trying.

Think you're right, chickens do NOT like change and are social creatures, from what I've read. Maybe spend more time on the balcony with him and/or getting him a friend, which maybe more problematic. Try offering him some plain yogurt & mealworm. You could also try wetting his feed, I do fermented feeding my girls LOVE IT! Need to get him to drink, I've read (BYC) where Nutri - Drench is another product that is used in such situations.

4. extranewbie

extranewbie New Egg

Oct 24, 2014

Thank you so much for the replies. I've had him since he was a baby chick. He sleeps outside in his coop mostly because he pecks at the screen to go out whenever nightfall comes. No dirt or real dust baths, but he does like having "dust baths" on a rug in the living room. He's been pecking at his food but he still isn't consuming his usual amount. His treats consists of bananas, cheese and apples. I gave him some cheese and thankfully even in his sour mood treats are still a priority to him. I tried encouraging him to drink but he just stares at me. I tried the medicine dropper but he skwaked at me angrily and fluffed his feathers.
    I would send pictures in another update. So far he's doing better. I'm pretty sure he just wants more attention due to the change in situation

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Be very careful when feeding liquids with a dropper, going down the wrong way will drown him. Instead dip his beak in the water or place a drop on his beak. Good luck

6. extranewbie

extranewbie New Egg

Oct 24, 2014

Thank you so much for the reply! His comb is still black-ish but less than it was the other day. He started crowing a lot more now thankfully. He's still not eating his usual feed though, but he does eat rice, treats and crickets. Is it possible for him to get bored of his food since I give him the exact same feed everyday + occasional treats? He's still not eating much though which concerns me. I let him spend the day inside the house today in hopes of cheering him up a lil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by