Depressed Silkie Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mseely, Oct 22, 2017.

1. mseely

mseely Chirping

Jun 9, 2017
    I adopted a silkie rooster from a farm that had too many roosters here on Friday. He was one of three roosters at their farm along with around 8 or 9 hens probably all silkies, and he's about 5 months old. I introduced him to my flock of 8 hens mixed breeds, orpington, austalrop, etc. , 3 who almost a year (they run the show) and 5 of them who are about 4 months old. All of my chickens free range but every time I go to check on them the rooster has tucked himself into some corner either between the house and the compost bin, or small crevices. I noticed the highest hen bullies him a little. They are separated when they are sleeping currently. The rooster seems to be so sad though. He always sits with his head down. I bring him in and he lays on my lap in the same head down position for hours. Anyone have experience with this? What can I do? Or is this just normal for silkie chicken temperament?

2. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    Did you just immediately throw him into your flock after you got him? That might be why. I’m sure your hens aren’t very nice to him since he is foreign and he is scared. You should keep them separated in different areas, but where they can see each other, until they are used to him and he is used to them. I’m sure he’s not depressed, just scared of your hens and keeping to himself to avoid getting hurt.

Arya28 likes this.
  3. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    He doesn’t seem sick does he? Like lethargic?

4. mseely

mseely Chirping

Jun 9, 2017
    He's been eating, drinking, and pooping, he was running around the yard earlier today for a little bit.

5. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    I think he might just be nervous and scared of your hens then. You should never just put a new bird into an existing flock in case it gets attacked. I’m currently going through the same thing trying to introduce a new duckling to my other duck and 5 hens

chickens really likes this.
  6. mseely

mseely Chirping

Jun 9, 2017
    What strategy are you using to introduce him?

7. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    Well Sunni, the duckling, is only a month old so she is still living inside with us while the flock lives outside. So at least once during the day we'll take sunny out in a cage we have (big enough for her to run around in and the other birds can see her) and let them watch her. We keep her on the outside of the run fence but the chickens and our other duck will still walk up and watch Sunni. Though it's only been about 5 days and it's still a work in progress.

With your rooster, since he's old enough to live outside on his own, if there's any way you could get him a cage or make him his own area where the hens can see him but can't touch him that would probably be the best option. And after a bit they'll be more used to him and you can begin letting him out and seeing how they react.

8. Arya28

Arya28 Songster

Apr 9, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with @DuckMochi....

Though this might sound like a dumb question- are you sure it's a rooster? Because I had a silkie who I though was a rooster in with our rooster flock (we separate them) and it was constantly getting beat up and keeping to itself. We separated it out with just one more rooster, and then SHE laid an egg, lol. We felt terrible for her, but she is doing good now laying eggs ever day. Silkies can be very hard to sex, especially at this age.

Again this might sound stupid, but I had it happen...silkies are adorable but can be tricky!

9. mseely

mseely Chirping

Jun 9, 2017

He's been crowing every morning so unless hens can do that too I have no idea

Arya28 likes this.
  10. mseely

mseely Chirping

Jun 9, 2017
    I'll also ask have you ever had any vision problems with your silkies, like their fluff covering their eyes? I feel like maybe he can't see super well so he doesn't like to move too much, which would explain maybe why he feels safest in a corner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by