Depression

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mycuties, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Mycuties

Mycuties New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    One of my cuties seems to be depressed, she is not fusing over her food like the others, infact she is not eating much at all.
    So i was wondering if anyone knows what i can do to help her, as i am new at this and have no idea what to do.
    I let them out for their run and so they can scratch around the property they can come in and out of the hutch.
    Could she be egg bound? if so what do you do?

2. lilypad

lilypad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    Hello there [​IMG]

What does her crop feel like? Is it a hard ball, or squishy like a waterballoon, or is it completely empty? (best to feel 1st thing in the morning).

Does she look like she's struggling to lay? Is her back end tensing or is she relaxed?

How's her breathing? Any sneezes or wheezes?

Does her comb look nice and red?

Any information you could give would really help! Hope she picks up soon.

3. theGrizzFan

theGrizzFan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Missouri Ozarks
    It's probably that darn hip hop music they listen to.

Just kidding, of course. How old is the chicken? How long have you had her? What are you feeding them? How's your water set up? Has there been a hot spell in the weather where you are? Is she new to your flock? Are there external stresses about like cats or dogs outside of the fence? Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? How does her eyes and vent look? Hopefully it's something minor and easily fixed, but everything is just a guess without details.

Best of luck to you.

4. Mycuties

Mycuties New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi thanks for your help henrietta is going great once again I have been watching her,
    She is back to normal laying again, she laid the biggest egg I have ever seen.
    Thanks everyone

5. Mycuties

Mycuties New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi I am so new to having chickens, just to let you know henrietta is the top girl in the pecking order I got her and chloe first I had them for about 3months then I got Sara, penny, speedy and coco, the first 2 are about 2 yrs old now, I have a 8 ltr self watering for them, which gets changed everyday also I feed them first thing in the morning, around 11-11:30 I let them out until dust as by 11am they have finished laying the eggs. Where we are if I let them out any earlier the wild animals gets the eggs. I also use the worming for them, it says to use it once their poo is sloppy is that right? Is there anything else I should be doing for them.
    They are so funny at times as when I am playing with my dog they join in they love to chase the ball and when I am on the ground with honey our dog the chicken join in as well so they are very friendly they make me laugh I love them, they are so much fun.
    So I hope this is normal lol
    Cheers

6. lilypad

lilypad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    That's great news! Sometimes when they are struggling to lay it can make them quite poorly - a warm bath for 15 minutes usually helps them pass it if they can't pass it on their own :)

Sounds like you're doing a great job. I find it's best to keep them in their run in the morning so they have a good fill of pellets as well :) I worm every 4-6 months with Flubenvet, would definitely worm if someone was having runny poo.
    My ex-batts liked a ball too, the ones I have no don't though :( I used to have one of them balls you get for rabbits that you can fill with treats, so I used to fill it with mealworms for them hehe x

7. Mycuties

Mycuties New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi, what a great idea to have a ball treat I have one for my baby girl and she loves it I will get a couple for my girls as they love to play with the dog's one my daughter took a video of them all playing chasing with the dog, I will have to see if I can put it on here, as it is soooo cute thank you everyone for all your help.
    Cheers....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by