Depth under ground??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ukchickengirl, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - just wondered how deep (if at all) you would say i need to dig my wire into the ground around the coop?? We do have foxes as i lost 4 bantys last year but they were free range in the garden, never saw any evidence of foxes around run.

Thanks
    H x

2. kelly

kelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I only put mine 2 inches under but if you have fox around I would think you would want to go atleast 6 inches if not more.

Kelly

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I used 2 ft hardware cloth. Did'nt bury but laid on top of ground and used landscape staples to anchor. Now the grass is growing through and you can't tell its there.
    About 3 1/2 inches are stapled to the chicken run and then the rest (about 20 inches) is on the ground out from the run.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    About a foot. The average fox is strong and adept at digging.

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    elderoo, you are one wise dude

6. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    Ours is about 6"
    I like KrisRoses idea....especially if you have ground that is hard to dig. I'm thinking once the stuff is flattened out and stuff grown on it and through it,you could mow over it and everything.

7. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I have pure clay!! This saved alot of work and I do mow right over it. Got the idea when I was lurking on this site.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    KrisRose has a good idea, too. Imagine youre a fox and trying to dig in and WHAMMMO! You hit that wire. Yowch!

9. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Krisrose has the right idea; even if the grass did NOT grow up through it, predators won't normally "tunnel" very far to get where they're going. Most times, they dig less than a foot horizontally, and by then they are normally able to just push up a little and get under the fence. I have never seen a predator dig under anything more than 18" of horizontal barrier (unless it was a mole, and he was trying to get to my bulbs)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by