Deressed chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peppypap, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I have a black star hen who is a little under two years old, and she is acting depressed and isn't laying any eggs. She hasn't layed in over 160 days. And the last two or three days she has been standing in the corner of my back yard and not really moving much. She has also lost a lot of fluff on her butt, and I have four other hens, a bantam rooster, and one of my hens has a month and a half old chick.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Am I reading this right... she hasn't layed in 160 days... My first thought egg bound... second heat.... or could she be hiding her eggs????

3. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    It might be the heat... She stopped laying last summer but she didnt act any differantly from normal. She hasn't layed for a really long time, and up until two days ago she was acting fine, but every few days she would sit in the nest box for an hour or two. One of my other hens is also not laying but sitting in the nest box every few days, but is still acting fine and has damaged feathers.

4. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Oh, and sorry about the typos. I am typing on and IPhone with auto correct. Really annoying sometimes.[​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Some internal problem maybe? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by