Dern! Lost A Lakenvelder Hen Yesterday!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sammyh312, Jun 24, 2011.

1. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    With no idea she could even get out, one of my two Lakenvelder hens got out of the run somehow. I found her in the backyard next door and i nearly had her until my dogs rounded the corner and spooked her. She flew over my shoulder, then hi-tailed it down the fence line to the back of the property where she tried to get through the fence. Bout the time she put her head through the fence, my back neighbors pit bull bit her head clean off in the blink of an eye! oh well, plucked and dressed for dinner now. [​IMG]

2. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    oh im sorry to hear that [​IMG]

3. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I'm so sorry that you had to witness that [​IMG]

4. sammyh312

May 22, 2011
    thanks, yeah that sucked! just kickin myself for (1). making it somehow feasible for her to get out in the first place when ida swore there was no way out, and (2). I had her in my hands before the doofus dogs ran up on me and spooked her. not really a sentimental attachement, but had her only two weeks.

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh gosh! Your alot stronger than I am! I couldnt imagine watching one of my babies be killed. So sorry for your loss.... [​IMG]

6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ugh! So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Eggna Beaker

Mrs. Eggna Beaker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    At least you were able to get something out of that tragedy. Last year our entire flock was taken a family of foxes, he was not at all afraid of humans because while we were on our property doing chores the fox came and took 3 birds right in front of us! I was defenseless. He then pranced off with his/her trophy and when in the lower field even stopped, with the chicken dangling from its mouth, and looked back as if to snicker at what just happened.

8. sammyh312

May 22, 2011
    ive shot a buncha coons around my place, and will whack more when given the chance. i hate that a fox did that to yall, and he needs to be shot...that'll take the prance out of him. ive got no beef with the neighbors dog though, he was just bein a dog on his own property. i shoulda took more time to make sure she couldnta got out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by