1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Des Moines, Iowa - I need some replacement chickens after a dog visit

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by dustyhans, May 31, 2008.

1. dustyhans

dustyhans New Egg

May 31, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Hi everyone. I see there are a few Iowans here. I'm hoping someone might know where I can buy some chickens to replace what the dog took yesterday. The ones we have were bought Easter weekend at a farm and tractor, but they're out of them now.
    I think these are called banties?? and they have feathers on their legs.
    Anyone know where I can find some around the Des Moines or Ames area?
    dusty

2. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I think your talking about cochins? I don't have any of them but I may have some standard favorelles in few weeks if you're interested?

3. dustyhans

dustyhans New Egg

May 31, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Good morning, Amy. Thanks for responding. As best as I could guess from looking at online chickens, I thought they might be cochins, too. I lost the most beautiful hen.
    I don't know what favorelles are. Are they small, too?
    How far away from Des Moines are you?
    Dusty

4. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    sorry taken so long to get back to you. Been busy and now trying to get the basement dry:)
    Look up salmon faverolles, very sweet birds pretty quiet and cold hardy. If you are interested let me know. the chickens are in mason city about 1 /2 hrs north of DM, I will be in fort dodge this wknd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by