Desensitization

Clinkm

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
MO
Good morning all!
Any tips and tricks on getting ducklings to settle more? They are handled daily, cuddles and all but still skiddish. I understand they are still babies and new to the 🌎. I have also read in multiple places that, this is just their mentality since they are prey animals and it's a defense mechanism to keep from becoming a snack. Wanting to get some clarification on if this will fade with time or am I always going to have two ducks who are scared 💩 less (liberally speaking🤣)
**with their feathers coming in, we have been handling them a little less to ensure they are comfortable. I read somewhere it isn't the best feeling being handled while feathers are errupting.**
Please correct me if I am wrong.
TIA!🥰

So today they both came up from their brooder and wanted to be picked up and held in my lap 🥰 Slowly but surely. They are still scaredy cats but getting better.

I want mine to be lap ducks too! :love But I'm settling for the fact that they all race to my side of the brooder when I walk by and one likes to be held. They are 3 weeks. What kind of ducks do you have? I'm wondering if that makes a difference. My friendliest is a rouen, then the pekin, then the runner.

I want mine to be lap ducks too! :love But I'm settling for the fact that they all race to my side of the brooder when I walk by and one likes to be held. They are 3 weeks. What kind of ducks do you have? I'm wondering if that makes a difference. My friendliest is a rouen, then the pekin, then the runner.
I have a pekin, around 5-6 wks old and a female grey swedish/pekin cross that is 4.5 weeks. I have had the grey swedish (we call her pepper for the time being) since she was a day old. So Im positive thats why shes been the easier of the two to morph into lap duckies. Here is a picture of the two. Excuse the messy brooder walls. I didnt get the chance to scrape them down today yet 😴
1620323673451155895878035390468.jpg

Super cute! @Clinkm
I handle my ducks (and ducklings) every day and find there is a big variety amongst the different kind of breeds. Although with yours it should be possible.
My advice would be: Make sure they benefit from you holding them. For instance give them room to run around, or a nice short supervised bath... with a heath source to warm up afterwords ofcourse!
They will love you for it!
I also make mine very happy when I bring them a clumo of grass... how tiny they are, they like to go on an adventure.

We’ve had ours for 9 weeks. They don’t love to be held/handled, but they do love to eat out of our hands (even just their duck feed not only treats). If we’re by the pond and they’re being skiddish of the water they are much more likely to allow us to just pet them. As tiny babies they lived to crawl all over us and in our laps to nap

Back
Top Bottom