Desensitizing the Dog: What is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ktgouge, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ktgouge

ktgouge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Lovely East Texas
    I've read through alot of threads about how to assimilate dogs and chickens...I've really enjoyed some of the ideas presented. We are scheduled to get 12 day old pullets in the next couple of days and I've been thinking about putting a baby monitor near the brooder area, with the receiver in the house (close to where the 2 dogs and 3 cats hang out), so that the dogs/cats can hear the noise and become acclimated to the chickens. I think if they constantly hear the noise the chickens make then they will become used to them more more easily and face-to-face introductions may occur without any drama. What do you all think? Would this be something you would try? [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I don't think it will make any difference in whether or not they get along, or how quickly they learn.
    Hearing an unfamiliar noise over a speaker is nothing at all like seeing and smelling new animals.

Hearing a TV or radio doesn't make dogs friendly towards strangers, so I doubt it will help with birds

3. ktgouge

Oct 18, 2013
    Lovely East Texas
    My big dog was not too interested when I got my chicks home today...She just looked at the box, cocked her head at the noise, sniffed the box and wandered off. She's a pittie and one of the most easy going dogs I've ever seen. My brother-in-law's mini-dachshund was VERY interested however. We shall see how it goes. I am SOOO excited to have my baby chicks though! They each have their own little personality. :)

4. mejumpmore1

mejumpmore1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    We are still in the process of getting our senior dog adjusted to the chickens. We kept a leash on him for a while even though he seemed disinterested in the chickens. Now, he is off leash but supervised while out with them. He still could care less about the chickens. Occasionally, he will wander over to where one or more of the chickens are hanging out, more than likely to see what they are up to or to steal whatever they are eating. We keep close watch on him still. He mostly just saunters around the yard or suns himself while the chickens go about their business. We are going to be getting a new pup in about a month and a half...that's a whole other can of worms. What on earth have I gotten myself into!!

I've got an almost 4 year old, baby on the way (due around Christmas), new to raising chickens, a senior dog who is beginning to have some health issues and now I'm adding another dog. I seriously must have lost my mind! Can I blame this on the pregnancy by chance?

1 person likes this.
  5. ktgouge

Oct 18, 2013
    Lovely East Texas
    Oh Wow! Sounds like you DO have your hands full! Best of luck with the new additions!!!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Lucky for you, you can blame just about everything on your pregnancy.... Just shrug your shoulders, and say, What do you expect, I'm pregnant. And for the next 18 years, you can blame it on the sleep deprivation of parenthood. After that, you'll have to blame it on your advancing age.... So, at this point, I'd say you're all set with a ready made excuse to cover any topic for life![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ktgouge

Oct 18, 2013
    Lovely East Texas
    A LOT can be blamed on pregnancy and hormones, or lack of hormones...lol!

8. mejumpmore1

mejumpmore1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama

Thank you both! I feel much better now. :) Lazy gardener...I never thought of it that way, but I like how you think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by