1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Desert plum homestead chickies (PIX FINALLY!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Desert Plum, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Desert Plum

Desert Plum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I finally broke down and got a digital camera so I could take some pictures without having to wait for development. Behold my seven week old babies (just a few pictures). [​IMG]

Cindy the Red star and/or Golden comet. I post this picture in hopes it helps someone else like me who isn't sure what they have because the color changed. Cindy went from Buff to Cream white. I'm puzzled because I know males are white from egg to adulthood-what about the Red Star or Gold comet females? Do they go from Buff to Cream to something?
    Anyway, here's Cindy!

[​IMG]

Cinnamon the Partridge Rock (I think) Pretty sure I gave away all my NHR. Darn.

[​IMG]

Mina the Naked Neck (she's huge!)

[​IMG]

Deliah the Delaware (also big!)

[​IMG]

That's it for now! I'll try to get my EE, Sara to stand still or Bobby the talkative BR to not run away from photos.

2. Desert Plum

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    Bumpity bump bump!

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Great pictures! The camera IS working. Pretty Babies you have.

4. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Love the Pics...There names suit them [​IMG]

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Cindy's an EE. Beard, green legs and probably has pea comb. None of those are supposed to be on any sex-links(like comets or stars).

Cinnamon isn't partridge colored.. could be nhr or ?? Brown egg layer.

6. Desert Plum

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    Quote:A white EE? She didn't have that beard like my Cinderella (RIP) who had a beard as a baby. Who would have thought it-apparently EEs sometimes do come in white. What colored eggs do they lay I wonder...?

Cinnamon has the jury out still. Sarah is my EE with partridge markings so for a while I thought she was the PR. I got a mutt batch it sounds like-won't know what those mystery chicks are until they are a few months old I guess.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Beards/muffs come in almost all shapes and sizes- they can be 'fluffy' or lie rather smooth against the head.. she definitely has a beard/muff. Maybe not as big as your Cinderella had.. but look at her and you'll see sort of a 'ruff'.

EE have no standard so literally anything goes for 'em. She is not an Ameraucana as their standard calls for slate legs only.

One way of identifying chicks out of a mixed breed batch is to check their combs.

8. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Quote:A white EE? She didn't have that beard like my Cinderella (RIP) who had a beard as a baby. Who would have thought it-apparently EEs sometimes do come in white. What colored eggs do they lay I wonder...?

Cinnamon has the jury out still. Sarah is my EE with partridge markings so for a while I thought she was the PR. I got a mutt batch it sounds like-won't know what those mystery chicks are until they are a few months old I guess.

I think she looks like an EE, too. I have a white EE. Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

9. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Naked necks are SO hysterical looking [​IMG] . They crack me up!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by