Desert Urban Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bosque, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

Here is my urban coop. I built it with plenty of ventalation for the Arizona heat. There are two doors, one to get into the coop and one to get into the roost. The chickens seem to really like it. The nesting box was built on the roost door and opens up aswell. You can see that there is the PVC feeder and waterer with two nipples. The waterer holds three gallons. I also have a quart waterer hanging on the right side.
    We had a monsoon rain last week and the chickens did really well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    That is a awesome looking pen very neat and clean looking, I would say you have some very happy birds indeed.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Very nice [​IMG]

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    let see how do you SPELL Jealouze...Jealooze, Jaillese....

IM JEALOUSE!!!! Thats an awesome and pretty coop~~~lucky you!

5. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Very nice set up! I really like how the coop and run fit in so well with the yard, fencing and trees. You have some lucky chickens there!

6. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Your coop is gorgeous. I am J-E-A-L-O-U-S. [​IMG]

7. Bosque

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Thank you. It was really fun to build. I learnt a lot that being my first coop. Now, Im really looking forward to building the next one!
    The one thing that I learnt was to use good wire. I tried the 2x3 welded wire, but the young chickens can almost get out. Then I had to buy poultry or hardware cloth for the bottom section. For the coop area, I ended up using 1x2 welded wire. It was more money, but I think that it is well worth it in the long run.

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Very nice...fits in perfectly! No wonder your chickens like it!!!![​IMG]

9. Bosque

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a roost question for everyone. This is the first time that I have had chickens. I built the run first, then added the roost on the left side of the picture about a month later. My youngest chicks go up to the roost everynight, but the older ones that lived in the coop for several months want to roost on the ground or in a plastic box that I cut a semi-circle hole into. For the last few nights, I have been picking up the older hens to put them into the roost. How long will it take for them to learn that they need to go in there at night? Any tips???

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Beautiful set up!

Just be aware that the spaces between 1" by 2" wire are large enough so that predators (e.g., racoons) can reach in and grab your birds, pull parts through the wire and dismember them. To make your run more secure, you could add 1/2" by 1/2" hardware cloth at the bottom of your run and anywhere your roosts attach to the sides of your run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by