DesertBrahma's backyard hoop coop

DesertBrahma

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2015
New Mexico
Hey guys, I'm going to start building my hoop coop soon. I'm building it in my fenced in backyard. I just got my tarp I'm going to use for the cover, I have 3 cattle panels, and just need to get the wood, and screws. Found out my "tarp has loops in the bottom so I can put a piece of 1x1 in it and roll the sides and back up to help lower the heat during summer. It was an old billboard sign. Now the wood I'm getting is 2 4"×4"×12', 2 4"×4"×8', 6 2"×4"×16'. I'm not going to put a door on it because my backyard is secure from 4 legged predators, just not winged predators. My cats go in to my coop I have now and inspect for rodents so that's another good reason for leaving it open. They don't mess with the chickens because they're scared of them lol. I'm also not going to put any hardware cloth on it. I'm going to have 2"4"s as bracing, and the roosts. It's going to be 8'×12' standing 6' tall so my husband can get in there and help. It will be large enough my 11 bg brahma chickens will have plenty of room to move around, and come and go as they please. If I get chicks from them I'll be able to block off a portion of it for their use also. I'll be putting my heat lamp in to help some with a bit of heating, and I have a fan I'll be putting in during the summer. The only thing I need to figure out is how to keep the 50+ mph wind from trying to take off with it. I'll post pics as I start building it.

Ok I've decided on a bit different approach for this build. I'm going to be attaching the cattle panels to my dog run/chicken coop and run. Then putting the tarp over it. I'll fill in where I need to with things around my land. I'm going to make this a completely free build. Hopefully it turns out right. I'll be starting this afternoon.

My best advice is to go with the best quality tarp you can, and find a good secure way to attach it. I built some hoop coop breeding pens this last spring, and my tarps weren't heavy duty enough and shredded in the wind. I thought my location was protected enough, but apparently not. I think the barn cat walking on top didn't help, he's not a lightweight
wink.png

I was able to get 1 of those billboard sign tarps. Everything else is coming from around my land. I'm going to put bailing wire through it to secure it to the fence, and attaching the cattle panels. I have 2x4s around that will be my roosts. I'm also going to put some NM dirt in it with shavings on top for the substrate. It will be about 6x20 when I'm done. 1part will be wood the other will be tarp I can pull up for air flow during the summer. I've never liked how I originally built this so going to tear it down and redo it right. Well redneck right at least lmbo.

Back
Top Bottom