design advice for homemade incubators? (lamp height, etc?)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by patandchickens, Mar 22, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I found a retired camper fridge that should make a good shell for an incubator. But because it's not quite like anyone else's, I can't just follow an existing design. Thus I am wondering, what are the essential principles to follow?

Is there a particular location (height, distance from eggs, etc) that the lightbulb should be?

Is there a particular location the thermostat should be? And the fan?

What else would be your advice to someone building an incubator, having looked at other peoples' design pages but having to adapt to a different container?

Is there anything you're really glad you did, or wish you did differently?

Thanks very much,

Pat, wanting to get this built and running and stabilized in the next 10 days or so.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have no advice on the set up and building , the little coooler one stumped me bad enough. All I can suggest is to make shure everything is washed up really really good then rinsed jsut as well. Bactiria is a no no with bators. Then make shure you have all the items you need , socket , thermastat, bulb , duct tape , water wiggler, therm / humidity guage combo , ect. hopefully someone will get to you soon.
    Good luck

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you are installing a fan, it makes no differance how far the heat sorce is from the eggs. What is important is that the temperture is equal thoughout the bator. I would get the thermostat
    has close to the center as possible. With a small fridge you should be able to 2 turner trays for incubating and a hatching tray. I saw one a few years ago set up this way. The man uses the turners from a LG for it. Good luck with it and let us know the outcome.

4. YeOleBroodie

YeOleBroodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Pat what size is the fridge? Does it have a little freezer compartment up top?
    A pix would be good if you can get one. That would help on giving you ideas. [​IMG]

What kind of thermostat were you thinking of using?

Oh and don't forget ventilation holes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by