1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

design ideas for birds roosting in the rafters-help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kellykate, Nov 15, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    So we have an adorable 8x6 coop that has been absolutely perfect so far *except* for one thing. . . the ladies like to roost up in the rafters. This is about 7 feet off the ground -- it is no problem for some of the smaller flighty birds but the big breeds (Cochin, Australorp, Wyandotte) and the Sizzle struggle to get up there. They have a half-way bar that was intended to be their roost that helps but they try and try and try to get up and occasionally they do -- and then to get down in the morning -ugh! I have already had the Australorp hurt a leg flying down.

So do you all have any pictures or ideas on what to build to help the crew up and down to the rafters? Thanks so much!!

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we are cold here in ny like you are in maine. we insulated and covered the rafters with a ceiling.

3. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    try extra jump poles (roosts at staggered heights) or a ladder

4. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    In the raised part of my coop I couldn't add a ceiling because I need to be able to stand up between the trusses (the walls are 3' high on the sides but the peaked roof is tall). So I cut chicken wire to fit and stapled it to each truss, from one side to the other and up into the peak. Works great. In the other part of the coop, which is not raised, I stapled chicken wire across the bottom of the trusses to make a chicken wire "ceiling" ... it also works great.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, in Maine the most sensible thing is to just put in a ceiling. If you want it permanent make it permanent (you can have vent openings going up into it, if some of the coop vents are above that level; if so then I'd suggest a thick and unbroken vapor barrier atop the ceiling so that snow that drifts in thru the upper vents does not sit and rot the ceiling). If you want the rafters open in summer, just staple bubblewrap or even just sheet plastic up there, over chickenwire so that even in summertime chickens can't get up there.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by