1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Design of Multi-Bay Coop to Accommodate Rooster Behavior

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ejcrist, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I'm in the process of building a coop that is actually 4 coops in one with attached runs. The basic design is a 10'x24' building and I haven't framed the runs yet but they will extend out 10' and each be 6' wide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each interior coop will be 6'x6' and have a chicken door leading to each run, and there will be a 4' wide hallway that'll run behind each coop. The exterior fencing is simple enough and a no-brainer - I'll use 1/2" hardware cloth around the outside of the runs and install a skirt out of the same material that'll extend out 3' all around the building and runs. I'm planning to use this coop/run setup primarily for breeding, so each of the 4 sections will have one cock and my best 4 or 5 hens.

Now for the part I have a question about. Is it ok to use regular chicken wire between the interior coops and runs or should I separate them with something like plywood on the bottom 3' or so, so the roosters don't get distracted by each other's presence? I don't want them to be distracted so they concentrate on fertilizing the eggs. I've never raised roosters together in close quarters so I want to make sure the design doesn't interfere with the purpose of the breeding coop. Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think they'll be distracted and even if they are I could always add the barrier after the fact but I'd rather get it right the first time.

1 person likes this.
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    IIRC solid partitions on bottom 3 feet is a good idea between cockbirds as they can sometimes fight thru wire.

Sweet coop(s)...look forward to watching this progress, hoping you keep posting.

1 person likes this.
  3. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    My next coop, (not withstanding a divorce being threatened) will be very similar to this, with the possible exception of one larger coop/run area for non-breeding layers. Maybe a meat bird section too.

Great design.

I'd lean towards solid divider also, more because I like to overbuild things.

4. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Thanks. Gosh I hope things work out for you with the divorce issue.

I'm like you and tend to over-engineer projects too. My main (and first) coop and run I built is way over-engineered and I got a lot of criticism from friends for probably spending too much building it but we get a lot of high winds here often and have a lot of predators so I knew I was doing the right thing. Since then we've had a couple of 50-60 mph gusts, dust storms, etc., and my coop/run is standing tall with no damage while some of the neighbors lost roofing tiles and had other damage. So yeah, I'm definitely in the camp that would rather over-do it a little rather than save a few bucks on material.

Here's the first project:
    [​IMG]

5. tmarsh83

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Oh I'm happily married, but after the expansion and coop build this spring another might have me in the doghouse! Lol

6. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Oh ok, I get you now. Sorry but my brain doesn't start working properly until a few hours after coffee. Yep, I know what you mean.

1 person likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe 'doghouse' word would have been better than other D word ;-)

I got the same impression as you did.

8. tmarsh83

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN

I'll blame not enough coffee yet. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by