design programs for coops.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken_noob, Jul 17, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I was wondering what some of you use to help design your coops. I have heard of Google sketchup and wasn't sure what else was out there. Id like a free program if possible.

2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Myself, I used a pencil and an old pad of engineer's paper (the light green stuff with the darker green grid, though the white stock with the blue grid would have worked just as well). [​IMG]

But then I build like I cook (think Justin Wilson). A recipe (apart from the essential ingredients of a bread) is a guidline. I built 5x8, 7' at the front, 5' at the rear. It came out plumb and square -- steel roof, shiplapped sides, and a sportin' 3x3 demonstrator slidin' glass door (on wheels instead of on tracks like a window).

If software is your preference, I have no idea what to recommend, but it's not at all hard to do by hand. It's a simple, one room building.

3. chicken_noob

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Ahh yes, I love to draw designs. I have used the good ole pencil and paper. I just like the idea of seeing the finished "item" in 3D where I can flip and spin it to see from every angle. Everything I have built is in my head. Just wanted something to work out some ideas at night on the PC.

4. chicken_noob

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Also, I now live in the "sweet spot" where I can't get high speed internet. I was looking for programs ill have my brother DL for me. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by