"Designer Breeds" Sexing??!!?? Lots-o-pics

remme

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Jersey Shore
I just purchased two "Designer Breed" chicks (by designer breed I mean free-range mutts, ha) from a reputable well known breeder. Purchased them straight run and was wondering if anyone would venture a guess at sex. They are roughly 3 weeks old.
The first one is a Barred-Rock/ Buff Orpington mix. I know roughly how to sex BPR chicks with the black wash on the leg, the head spot, and the wing barring but I cant quite figure this one out because the mess of Orpington in it. The second is a Barred-Rock/ Rhode Island Red cross and it too is a bewilderment to me. I don't know anything about sexing or possibility of sexing a RIR or Orpington. The BPR/Orp has the black wash on its legs and its chest feathering seems Female but the wings sort of throw me off. And half it's head is Buff so its hard to tell but there is a spot of white on it but for three weeks the comb seems very red. I am at a lost with the RIR/BPR. Haha, Enjoy the pictures....

pose down

and the back

"act like you hate each other"

voyeur shot

lets see those legs (sh*tty picture sorry"

The little one you see behind them is a sexed pullet Ameraucana...not sure of the coloring tho, it sort of looks like a chipmunk. Im thinking either Wheaten or brown/red...we shall see. Thanks for looking and keep them guesses a comin'.

A little to young to tell. Check back in a few weeks and we should be able to tell better.

Ya, too young to tell, but I will get a guess out there and guess the two designer ones are boys.

Which parent was the barred rock? If it was the hen, then the barred one is male and the non barred one is female. If it's supposed to be the daddy, I call foul cause a barred rock male's offspring will all be barred.

Comb is getting red and at that age can only mean one thing.
Trying to use tips and tricks on sexing barred rocks on barred rock mix won't help much.

Sexed pullet Ameraucana ,even sexed the chances of being a pullet if sexed by professional is about 90%.Is it a true Ameraucana or hatcher version also known as a EE?

Emailed the breeder. the hens in the cage were BPR, RIR, NewHampshire Reds and Buff Orpingtons. Males in the cage were BPR, RIR, and Buff Orpingtons if that helps any. So Im thinking maybe a RIR roo with a barred hen and a barred roo w/ an orpington hen?? @ LILLIESANCHICKS she said Ameraucana and when I called it an Easter Egger she corrected me.

Last edited:
The barred bird is definitely a rooster. The other is a female. The ameraucana id say is more an easter egger than a pure ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom