Designer Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolfwoman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    If this has been covered before, I didn't see it...

How many of you have been snookered into paying LOTS of money for a dog that's nothing more than... a MUTT??

Seriously folks, people have been breeding MUTTS for generations, why all of a sudden is a Cocker Spaniel & Poodle mix all of a sudden worth $500-$1000? Because it's called a Cockapoo??? Or any of the other 500 million mutt combinations out there.

I don't get it, enlighten me.

2. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Heck, that one's easy. They are really really STUPID [​IMG]
    Slinky

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

No clue myself... I think a plain ol' Lab is great, why would you want loopy poodle added in?

Same with cockers.. they're cute all on their own.

I'm just waiting for a shih tzu & bulldog mix to be popular... actually, that one I might buy just so I could get a kick out of telling everyone what it is...

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I think some people go that route to have a dog that is non-shedding, but close to the breed they would actually love to have but can't b/c of allergies, etc. To each his/her own. Differences in thought is what makes the world go round. [​IMG]

5. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    We have 2 designer dogs. The first we got for only $35 from a rescue shelter. She is is a YorkiePoo her name is Frenchie. She is a wonderful 3yr old little girl and is princess of the home. Our second is a Maltees Chihuahua. He was purchased by my oldest daughter for over $500. He will be a year old in Oct. His name is Cody. He he looks very much like a Bichon but has a longer snout.

We like them because of their size and disposition.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I don't get it either. The more "Fru-Fru" the dog, the more $$$
    I have 7 dogs the prices are as follows:
    Pure bred Boston Terrier- Free
    Pure bred Min-Pin- $10, spay included
    Pure bred Dashund- $10, spay included
    Husky mix- Free
    Twin Border Collie/ Bouvier mix- both for $70, spays included
    Pure bred Doberman- Free, already neutered

7. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have two...a yorkie poo and a shih poo. It wouldnt have matter if I got them from the pound or a breeder. I would have gladly paid either way. They both are spectacular dogs and have wonderful personalities, not because of their breed but because of their temperment. I did not go seeking either dog out but fell in love with both and purchased them (at seperate times). To me it would not have mattered it they were bull dogs or rotties or a jack russell. The personality hooked my heart and I bought them.

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't know... my Irish Wolfhound isn't 'fru-fru' and he cost a pretty penny (and worth every cent IMO)

If someone has the money to spend, what is wrong with them getting the dog they want?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  9. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    I want to be a dog breeder later on, admittedly. Not sure which breed yet, I like to many. Right now I'm thinking Boston Terriers, small but not as costly to birth as Frenchies (c-sections often). Pitbulls maybe, St. Bernards are my favorite... But so big to have so many of them around.

I got my 'bullboxer pit' for free.

Trust me, the boxer part of it doesn't make anyone stop saying how FEROCIOUS MY PITBULL MUST BE BECAUSE HE'S A PITBULL.

I just like the sound of bullboxer pit. It's nice.

10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    georgialee - Well yes and that's great, but then there are those that RIP those people off by selling them a $500 MUTT. If you want to go that route, just go to the pound at GET a mutt or look in the paper, there's always people that have accidental FREE litters. And your Irish Wolfhound isn't a mutt, it's a purebred, THAT is what people pay money for. PUREness and bloodlines. If someone has the money to spend, why not donate to someone/something that doesn't rather than making more mutts.

SG_Chicken - Again, read what I wrote above. I wish I had an extra $500 at any time in my life to spend on a mutt.

PureFluff - Never met a pitt I didn't like.

With all the dogs that are in shelters today that have these same combinations, why propagate more mutts?

How about this, I have MacKenzie River Husky/Yellow Labs. Can I breed a crapload of them and sell them for $1000 as MacLabs?

I think the point most of you are missing is that you've been HAD by people smarter than you in selling MUTTS for lots of money and ya don't want to admit it!

All of the designer dog mixes you have are right now in backyards and shelters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by