1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

designer goat breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ()relics, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Anyone have an insider tip on the next designer breed...I'd like to get some while I can still afford them.

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    How about getting the breed that appeals the most/suits your requirements best instead? Fads come and go, and the novelty soon wears off when the hard work sets in.

3. ()relics

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    ...true but sometimes the newest fad goat will place better in a show just because they are new and no one has seen them. And no matter the breed, color, or pattern a goat's novelty never "wears off". Besides who would even notice a few more goats.

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Thats if the shows let them in...some dont and it took years for them to let the Nigerians in as milk goats. Mixed breed and designers are hard to sell. You cant get them registered and then you have more than you want. JMO

5. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I breed spotted boer goats. They are so pretty and fun to work with.

6. ()relics

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I sell all my goats out of the barn usually before they are even weaned. The best sellers I have are from a 3/4 boer alpine mix...can't get enough both wethers and doelings...as for new breeds/colors/patterns there is always the exhibition class...Win that class 1 time at a state or national level and you will have to charge admission to your barn, you will also notice an increase in traffic in front of your pasture,and you will have a 2 year waiting list for kids.

7. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I agree with you about the boer mixes. They seem to do much better than the fullblood boers around here. The mothers are better and are more hardy than the fullbloods. Mine sell as soon as they are for sale.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    The newest breed I know of are the pygoras. Pygmy X Angora. There is a registry for them.
    Yahoo has a pygora group if you want to learn more.

9. ()relics

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I have a red paint boer billy myself might like to try the spot if I can find a nice one. I would prefer larger size goats rather than pygmy...my goats summer with the horses on the pasture and need to be big enough to stay out of their way. I will search that cross though....thanks

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I love the spotted goats! I think that would be a good way to go.
    With the economy being what it is I think people are starting to make more practical choices in livestock. Instead of exotics and pasture ornaments they are looking for milk and food animals.
    Having the spotted goats would catch the eye of the buyers and judges, and they would still be a practical animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by