designing a run....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the priest, Feb 26, 2012.

1. the priest

the priest New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    ok, so I'm finally building a run at the end of garden.

I have 5 pekins, and the run will be 4m x 3m 2m ,so they should have plenty of space.

Can anyone recommend:

a good place to order reinforced mesh,

any build plans i could pinch, or any good free design software,

thanks

2. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Welcome to BYC!

Last fall I ordered 100' of 19 gauge 1/2 x 1/2 mesh hardware cloth.

Ace Hardware had a special advertised online, but the shipping was high, due to the weight of the product. I called my local Ace Hardware and discussed it with the owner/manager, gave him the site and item number. He said, "No problem, I'll order a roll to come in on the next truck."

I had to drive about 45 mins to the store to pick it up, but where we are, we are 30-60 minutes from everywhere :)

I am planning to do the same thing again shortly. I try to give local businesses my business when possible. In this case it was about the best deal I could find!

You may be able to do the same thing with an Ace Hardware or another store near you.

As for coop designs, check out the forum- TONS of coops and pics!

- JC

3. Argus33

Argus33 New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Sullivan, IN
    you can look this up as a matter of fact you will have to look this up because no one knows about this any more but this is the best fence ever and i had two rolls of it before and once i moved and seen how valuable it is now i wish i would have packed it in the move. but here it is:
    Keystone Steel Wire Div 70253 Poultry And Rabbit Fence
    http://www.redbrand.com/Products/DeerWildlifeFence/DeerOrchard.aspx
    if you look on the red brand fence web site you have to go to deer and wildlife fence they have it in 4' tall all the way to 8' tall so pick your poison but from what i have see for daytime fence this is by far the best. i come from the mentality that you lock up your flock at night and nothing larger than an 1/8th of inch hole for the chicken coop. but that is just my opinion.

4. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011

Thanks for the link. I've looked at that fence before for a garden.

Unfortunately, when you have snakes, skunks, raccoons, and a number of other predators around (rural farm), that spacing is too large. A number of people can get away with something like that, or even chicken wire (gasp!), but that wouldn't work here.

Some folks let their chickens run free without any fencing, even 24 hrs per day and are mostly fine.

That wouldn't work here. We'd just end up with fat foxes and bears, oh my ;)

My father tells a story about a raccoon who reached through a fence similar to that and snagged a chick and even grabbed a full grown chicken by the leg (there is a similar story online- not mine- but not sure if it was this site or somewhere else?).

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what works for your situation. Just know that large gaps fencing is very limited in its protection.

FYI. There are also fences that are smaller on the bottom and get larger on top that helps with predators. Some folks take fencing like the one you linked and cover the bottom foot or so with finer meshed fencing (or even electric fence) and have been successful. Just goes to show there isn't any one 'Right' or 'Wrong' way. ;)

- JC

5. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I ordered hardware cloth (1/2" 4'x50') from wayfair.com from recommendations from a few people on BYC. Their prices were half of what I would have paid at Home Depot. I bought two rolls plus free shipping.

6. Argus33

Argus33 New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Sullivan, IN
    yeah i agree with you on that, i posted the incorect link but i meant to put the one on there to one on here that is small holes on the bottom and gets larger as it goes higher. sorry about that all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by