Designing a tractor/coop for 6 standard size hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by funkyfarmstudio, Feb 14, 2012.

1. funkyfarmstudio

funkyfarmstudio New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi all!

I just joined and have 6 chicks on the way the last week of Feb. I guess that gives us a month or so to build our tractor. I have looked at tons of examples here (very inspiring) but haven't found the perfect thing so trying to come up with it ourselves. My husband is very handy, so hopefully he can decipher my drawings:)

A little background: We have a couple of acres we can move around on, and have a lawn mower and a 4-wheeler that we can pull it with so it doesn't have to be super light. I'm thinking of doing it in 2 sections as well (coop and detachable run) so that should help too.

I am sure I will have a ton of questions, but right now this is what I am trying to figure out

I'm struggling a bit with just how big the coop portion should be - 4x5? 4x6? I could do external boxes to gain some inside room. Are they really going to do anything inside except sleep and lay eggs?

I've read the ventilation page, but am still a little confused on that. I live in Charlotte, NC so we have heat issues more than cold. I thought I read that the vents/windows should not be at roost level so they won't be sleeping in a a draft, but then somewhere else read that they should so that they can get a breeze....I dunno what to do with that...

Thanks so much for any advice!

2. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

For 6 chickens the 4x6 coop would be about right, considering 4 sq. ft. per chicken in the coop. The run should be 10 sq. ft per chicken, unless your going to let them free range. I know my girls don't stay in the coop during the day unless there is a hard rain. But will go in and out to lay or to eat, which there food is offered 24/7.

3. funkyfarmstudio

funkyfarmstudio New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks Country Rooster!

So if we go 4x6 with an external nest box that should be plenty of room for 6. And I think 2 nest boxes for 6 hens is correct right?

Anyone have ideas on the ventilation? I'm trying to figure out where to place the windows and roost bars.

Also, with this size coop, is there any advantage/disadvantage to a dog house shaped roof vs a slant roof? I'm sure there are proper terms for this but I mean /\ as opposed to / ?

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by