1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Designing our Breed Coop/barn need some input please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GraceHomestead, Mar 6, 2017.

1. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Ok so my daughter has designed our chicken breed coop/barn. She is serious about her chickens!!
    [​IMG]

It is 30'x42' and has 12 different coop/runs.
    There will be a 12x12 storage/incubating room.
    The runs will be 6x8 and the coops will be 4x6.
    [​IMG]

One of the pens will be for young roosters and another for grow out chicks.

Now, She will be getting orpingtons(Buff, lavender &silver laced) and I know they are quite big so my question is how many per 6x8 would be a good number?
    And is 6x8 a good size for a run? Each day 1 breed will be let out to freerange on rotaion.
    Also would linoleum be a good choice to put down in the coops for easy clean up?!

The chickens we already have:
    Golden lace polish (4)
    Silver lace polish (3)
    Silver laced cochin (6)
    Golden lace cochin (1)
    And our meat/egg birds (rir & red sexlinks)
    Thanks for any input!

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    The "coop" and run are all inside?

The "run" dimensions aren't large enough to meet the area for the capacity of the "coop."

If it's all interior why not just treat each pen like a coop. It will give you more room and more flexibility with the space. Then you are talking about a 6x12 area for each pen. A better use of space than breaking it up.

That 72 sq ft could hold 18 birds, but if they are confined to that area only except for one day a week, 4 sq ft per bird wouldn't be sufficient to meet my management style. I'd want to keep each area to 10 birds of fewer, but that's only if every 6x12 area were open, not "coop/run." It'd be 4-6 MAX if you tried to do that, IMHO.

Why not outside runs? You could build a considerably smaller barn if you only enclosed the "coop" of each and allowed outside area. You don't list where you are, so climate may be a consideration, but it would certainly be something I would consider. You could still extend the roofline to cover the runs if that were an issue.

A lot of it boils down to your management style, for me, this wouldn't work.

3. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    So the coop should be smaller? And the runs bigger?Confused, sorry

The runs will be open, with just a roof and the the front was drawn solid to match each side because the front right is where the 12x12 room is.
    Here is the back and the original before adding the 12x12 storage room.
    [​IMG]

So you are saying 6x8 is not a big enough run? Should we add 4 more feet? Or are the coops to big?

4. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Ok, that makes more sense. The way it was shown before it looked like the birds were under roof and inside walls at all times.

If you use the 4x6 coop dimensions, and apply the 4/10 sq ft rule, the runs are undersized.

With no ranging time, except for once a week, you really aren't going to want to get less than either of those figures, IMO. But that's just my management style.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can't read the labeling on the floor plan.
    Wish I could but don't really need to.....
    .....counted squares, she did a nice job between the floor plan and the elevations...kudos from an old drafter!

Will the runs be totally predator and weather proof 24/7/365?
    What is your climate location(put it in your profile).

4x6 is tight to move around in once you get roosts, feeders, waterers.

12 groups is a lot of rotation....they'll only get out about twice a month.
    Might want to go with just 10 breeds and keep 2 pens available for isolation, sickbay, etc.

But might depend on the run and climate questions.

Nice start....am a tad bit envious of all that space!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by