Designs to share for a 6'x10' chicken coop? Or something close? and predator proofing runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lesuko, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Lesuko

Lesuko Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    Hi All,

I've looked through several coops on this site- what would any newbie do without it... At this point, we have an idea of things needed, and things desired, but can't seem to get started with the planning. We obviously have to move fast since the chicks will need a home in a month or so and we can't get it together, quick enough.

Does anyone have a design they are willing to share? I'm in Colorado and have to deal with winters and high winds. We are also wondering how much we should predator proof the run. If you have a site where you bought designs, please share a link. I've looked at the "Garden Coop" but don't feel that's right for where we live. I've found 3 AutoCad designs on the site but that's all.

Oh, we are in a small city, so we have about 6'x10' to build a coop and run for 5 chickens. We will let them wander our enclosed backyard when we're home.

Predator proof runs-
    1) is it necessary to predator proof the run if you put the hens away at night? Or, if we get an automated door and the hens go inside at night, will it be enough? We do go away on the weekends a lot, especially in the summer.
    2) If we use chicken wire, covered with landscaping fabric on the bottom, it seems most add sand on top of the combo. But, how deep should it be if the chickens love to scratch and we want them to not hit the fabric or wire? I've read that people put leaves, straw, wood chips in the run because they like to scratch, and it encourages bugs, do you do this over the fabric/wire?
    3 )I would rather not have the wire/fabric barrier so that they can pick at bugs and play in the dirt, etc. Is there another way to predator proof the run?

Thanks!

2. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    Take a look at this

http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/default.aspx

It woulde be perfect. the coop is the hard part the run is easy

the Run pretty much you have to have it totally enclosed top, sides and even under ground for a bit so nothign can dig to get in. you can go fancy or just a area for them to scratch in that is up to you.

But the plans for the coop I found these to be perfect I used it as a guide but made my own changes. In fact I am building a larger one and going to use this as the guide

3. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    FYI the run can be covered (Sides and top) with wire and they will still get bugs on the ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by