Desitin to prevent frost bite?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknjane, Jan 6, 2010.

1. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I've been reading up on frostbite prevention and was wondering if anyone has used desitin to prevent frostbite? I know vaseline is suggested, however, vaseline is supposed to trap moisture in and keep the surface moist. Desitin on the other hand is supposed to keep moisture out. Also, should I try this, can anoyone hazard a guess as to how it might change their social interaction if I paint their combs white with desitin?

Temps in my area are supposed to dip into the low teens this week and am considering trying desitin as a preventative.

I know where my best thinking has gotten me, so I'd really like other peoples thoughts before I paint their beautiful combs white.

Thank you,
    Marcy

2. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i wanna know too!!! i wanna know too!! [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Both Desitin and Vaseline are moisture barriers and reduce evaporation of water from the skin. Thus, to the extent they do any good at all (I think vaseline does, somewhat, but can't prove it; I know of no good studies to settle the question beyond anecdote) one might expect them to be comparable?

If you're going to try a new product, it might be a good idea to try it on just one or two chickens for a week or so, see what happens.

Pat

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you do try it, use the newer formula Desitin, the kind that's easier to remove, because if you want to get the other kind off, good luck. You pretty much have to wait until it wears off on its own.

5. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I know vaseline is suggested, however, vaseline is supposed to trap moisture in and keep the surface moist. Desitin on the other hand is supposed to keep moisture out.

The 2 statements above reflect different marketing, not different functionality. I tried Desitin with my kids and hated the zinc oxide mess. I preferred A &D ointment. but I think anything that makes a surface barrier will do whatever job it's supposed to for frostbite prevention.

One problem I see, with the zinc oxide you won't be able to see the surface of the comb as easily - it could mask problems.​

6. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Thanks for the imput. I ended up putting some Desitin on (Oh I hate to say it) my least favorite rooster who is headed for freezer camp if he doesn't straighten out his act. So far, so good. He looks absolutely ridiculous. I'll have to post pics as soon as I get the chance. I've got petroleum jelly on the other 3.

I have so much desitin left over from diaper days with my kids. I would get it in baby baskets and never use it because it was just a mess to use. I preferred A&D too RocketDad.

I'll let you all know how the experiment works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by