Desparately need advice on my 5 month old rooster LUCKY. Please help!

HOUDINI1961

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
FLORIDA
I will try to condense the saga.

Lucky was rescued at birth and stayed in my house for 4 months. He is now 5 months old and living in a small area inside of a coop that contains my 8 month old rooster Buffy and 8 month old "crowing" hen, Mookie.

Lucky was separated from them so they could adjust to each other. Lucky got out of his area and bit Mookie up. Mookie's head was bloody, parts of his waddle were bitten off.

Lucky escaped a second time when a strong wind opened up the tarp and he again injured Mookie, though not as bad.

I can't leave Lucky in that small area for much longer. The only alternative is to give him away to a Farm in Homestead over 2 hours away from where I live.

I have been working with Lucky and he is now very tame with me. He lays in my arms, shuts his eyes and goes to sleep.

But when I sat down with him and Buffy was near, Lucky pulled out 3 of Buffy's feathers.

So my question is...do roosters come around and become friends with other roosters or will it always be a disaster?

The thought of giving him away to a farm, whereas I will never see him again, he will never see me again, he will never be called by his name "Lucky" and will never be fed the good food we feed him: seedless grapes, raisins, tomatoes, broccoli, mealworms, superworms, live crickets, etc.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I can't give up on him and just send him into exile. He was more or less raised alone as my other 2 chickens left the house a few weeks after Lucky arrived.

It may be possible to enlarge the coop and give him a bigger area. But is it fair to him to have me but have no other chickens in his area?..only the ones he can see through the chicken wire?

I am really torn and time is ticking. He is supposed to be sent to the farm this Saturday. I can't find any place closer than the Homestead farm to send him to, I live in Fort Lauderdale.

I have no idea what will happen to him there, if he will be fed properly, etc. I know no one will hold him in his arms every day like I do.

Please help!!!!!!!!!

Michael

If I was that attached, I would create another small coop/run area and get Lucky some female friends. Just have two small coops. Even if you kept two pairs, that would work. I have certain roosters that refuse to live in peace. If I keep them, I just have to give them their own coop complete with their own ladies.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. My chickens are in a coop in a Farmer's Market(no, not to eat) where people have dropped off their unwanted animals. The guy now has 2 pigs, 11 ducks, 2 turkeys, 2 roosters and 4 hens. He just built a henhouse for 20 chickens to get their eggs.

I'm not sure I can get him to enlarge the coop for me but I will try. I guess I could volunteer to help him and/or pay him some money to do it.

I just hate asking him favors since he allowed me to have my 2 chickens there and now Lucky.

Thanks again.

Oh, do roosters ever calm down? I read about "teenage" roosters being a problem but I'm not sure my 5 month Lucky qualifies as a rooster teenager.

Michael

You already have too many roos per hen and she will live a miserable life with two roos riding her every second of the day. Sounds like Lucky is already a bad roo...I've never had a roo in all my years that injured a hen intentionally.

I think it would be wise to rehome Lucky....the other two seem to cohabitate without issues, so he is the problem child.

I mean no offence when I say this; but... I would consider processing the roo waaay more humane than raising him all alone away from a flock. Chickens are a flock animal. Raising a chicken isolated from a flock seems quite crewl to me. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom