desperate for broody hens HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Jun 15, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I need my hen to go broody as some of my chicken got eaten from a fox and I don't know how to, my aseel went broody only for 5 days and came off them but she was only about 4-5 months old but she hatched before I had her 4 months old now she is about 6-7 months old and laying eggs a day I leave some eggs in the coop and I take them away every 2 or 3 days but leave the fresh ones in today she went to a nest box to lay so I figured to put an egg under her while laying and she took the egg and tucked it under her I was happy I thought she was broody but then she laid egg and came out the nest box, I think I'm gonna try spearmint in the nest box thing as heard it triggers broodiness any advice? I tried put my hen in dark hutch she sat them for 5 days then came off again I have 3 hens ,aseel, black Wyandot cross and a hybrid not sure what. the black Wyandot sat on 7 eggs the other day and slept on them at night but she came of them not sure this happens to me [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] so she and the aseel could be good to go broody

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I have not heard of a proven method to trigger broodiness, sorry.

CT

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I think the only thing that always works is patience [​IMG]

4. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I have been waiting more than a year and nothing how much more can I wait

5. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Really not much you can do to trigger it besides giving her a reason, I would go get a dozen golf balls and put those in a nesting box and leave them in the nesting box then wait and hope she goes broody on them... The reason for golf balls is that they won't spoil and don't need to be changed out... Once she goes broody on them and appears devoted to sitting, then swap them out with real eggs...

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not all hens go broody.
    Some breeds are known for broodiness.
    In general a hen will not go broody till fully mature and after her first moult.
    May seem like broodiness with some, but they just like chatting away to eggs.

8. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I have been keeping chicken for 10 years and none of my chicken moltted because where I live (Palestine) not just most people here are the same but temperature is good now andits a bit hot but today nice and cool windy

9. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    from reading and trying, there's no way to force it. you can create a broody area, ideally one that you can shut a door on once a hen starts, to keep other hens from barging in and laying eggs on top of her. a darkly lit laying box tucked away a bit, facing an inside wall is a favorite for my hens and then one day our astrolorpe got the fancy for sitting and nothing was going to stop her. it's an unmistakable state, there's a shift in behavior, they tend to puff up, growl and peck if you get close. some breeds are more likely than others to go broody, some hens within a breed are more likely. generally I've heard it advised that if a hen comes in and out of being broody without finishing the job, it's best to not rely on her in the future. I've read in several places that it's best to wait a week of solid sitting before risking adding fertile eggs and best to use eggs that are 7 days old or less. I used fake eggs for that week, golf balls are a common alternative as they don't seem to know the difference.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. Dipsey

Dipsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2015
    I have heard of doing this from several people. We have used golf balls to get the hens to lay in boxes where we want them to lay. But I have heard of making a clutch of eggs with golf balls to trigger broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by