Desperate for help with my silkie! First Wry Neck, then bump, now... I don't even know!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoostersandRed, Oct 9, 2013.

1. RoostersandRed

RoostersandRed New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Sumpter Twp, MI
    Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for all of your wonderful posts. My chickens are family to me, and I have saved them several times with your help. In the last year, you've helped me save my Cochin, Dolly, from Coccidiosis, my Aracauna, Haley from Botulism, and even my little Silkie hen Boomer, thus far... I'm really helping you can help me again.

About 6 weeks ago Boomer was sitting on a clutch. One of the larger hens pecked her in her head, and stole her nest from her. At first I thought she was just depressed, but within a few days, she had all of the symptoms of "Wry neck". It was pretty obvious that she had a brain injury. I seperated her, and while I was able to get prednisone, she ended up healing on a high vitamin, high protein, high loving regimine.

THEN, I found a bump on the back of her head. I found so much mixed info about it, so I decided to watch it. She still got better, and a week ago today, she seemed almost back to her old self. Because of her new fear of the other hens, and mine, I'm still keeping her inside with me.

Yesterday, I took her outside with me while I was working, and she seemed tired and quite content to sleep on my lap after about 20 minutes of enjoying the fresh air. Today I came home from work, picked her up to go out with me, and she just seemed... "lighter", if that makes sense. Also, she vomited (?) clear water on me, I'm assuming it's water. I did see a little on her nostril area, but can't guarantee where it came from since it was completely silent. She doesn't seem to have eaten nor drank anything all day either.

I did buy Oxytetracycline, because I am aware that respiratory infection can follow wry neck.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Silkie Hen, 1 yr, about 2 lbs
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    stretching out right leg, slowly bringing it back in. If I don't help her get her balance first, she seems to want to fall face first, So I slowly set her down, and she just kind of snuggles in.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?about 27 hours- tired yesterday, this bad only since sometime between 7am and 2pm
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, seperated from flock for 6 wks
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Recovering from recent head injury
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No idea
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Since I've been home, she eats/ drinks minimally if I bring it to her mouth.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    "explosive" diarrhea; green and white-ish, watery
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    About to start antibiotics
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I know this is terrible, but I have more faith in myself than the quack vet nearby. Have had many bad experiences with her, and I live far from anyone I trust.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Nothing to see
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Rabbit cage or pet carrier. Pet carrier now so I can keep her next to me when not holding her. She does seem better while in my arms. Had straw bedding, bought pine shavings when I got the antibiotics today.

*NO drainage or goo from eyes, breath seems normal smelling. Of course, I like the smell of my chickens, but smells no different

I really hope someone can give me some advice. Thank you in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. RoostersandRed

RoostersandRed New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Sumpter Twp, MI
    Thank you so much Eggcessive for replying!

Her crop was completely empty yesterday, I mean I didn't feel ANYTHING. I did mix some crumble with water and she has started eating... somewhat. She seems to have trouble with depth perception, possibly from her recent injury? She won't eat nor drink unless I hold a bowl close to her, but then she eats like she's starving (which, she probably is). However, once her crop is full (at least feels like it to me), she stops, then lowers back down and goes back to sleep. She still won't drink water unless its "Watery" food, and because of her just plunging her face in the waterer, I wonder, should I just remove it, in case she does decide to drink on her own? Just two days ago, this wasn't the case though. She was walking, eating, energetic, alert for a full week, with her head held high. I truly thought we were FINALLY out of the woods with the wry neck issue. This came on rather suddenly.

I didn't hear from anyone, so I did start the antibiotics this morning, in fear of waiting too long. By this evening, she seems a tad bit more energetic, well at least enough to stand up for a few minutes, and eating, as described above. I'm fearful of antibiotics, or medicating her unnecessarily, but I was desperate.

I forgot to mention, that I have a broken foot at the moment, so driving to the vet that I do trust, an hour away, isn't easy right now. Unfortunately, I live that far from anyone who would help us also.

4. RoostersandRed

RoostersandRed New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Sumpter Twp, MI
    Also, I did hear a "Popping" sound here and there from her chest yesterday, and it seems to be gone this evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by