Desperate for help!

AZmom_30

Hatching
May 26, 2018
I have a 6 week old Cream Legbar hen that is ill and I don't know what else to do. 4 nights ago I noticed she was limping and "yawning". For 3 full days now she can't walk, stumbles and falls, keeps eyes closed unless she's startled and is "yawning" on a consistent basis. This morning seemed a bit better. She's was chirping a lot, trying to stand and actually did for a few seconds and is eating on her own. But still the other symptoms are present. I've been giving her electrolytes and probiotics by syringe this whole time. Is this Mareks? Should I put her out of her misery??? Any advice is welcomed.

How does her crop feel? Is it emptying overnight. Yawning can be a sign of adjusting the crop, but it would be good to know if hers is working okay. Is she eating and drinking as much as she normally does?

One thing to worry about at this age could be coccidiosis, which causes lethargy, weakness, poor appetite, standing around hunched or puffed up, and diarrhea with mucus or sometimes blood. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment. You can find that at most feed stores in powder or liquid. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water, change daily, for 5-7 days.

Her crop is fine and so is her poop. She can only lay down bc she has no mobility even though she tries to move. No discharge of any kind from any place.

Mareks could be the problem, but it usually strikes at an older age. It is very rare to see it before 4 weeks of age. There have been a few chickens who have died of suspected Mareks, and necropsy reports have come back with coccidiosis as the diagnosis. Corid is not harmful to use if it isn’t coccidiosis.

I would try making a chick chair or sling to get her upright and in front of food and water. Look at post 5 here for pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom