Desperate for help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by April73, Mar 6, 2015.

1. April73

April73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    Texas
    Hey guys, I have a 7 month old hen that started breathing heavy and will not walk much for 2 days now. I have her inside and administered Vet RX to her. I have electrolytes in her water and fresh food. She is still eating and drinking. She has no runny nose or wheezing. What can this be?? I've checked for mites as well. All my other chickens are fine. Thanks in advance to any help!
    [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sorry to hear your girl is having a rough time. I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to this sort of thing but I'm wondering if she is egg bound. Have you checked for that yet?

3. April73

Mar 6, 2015
    Texas
    I haven't. I have two just like her and they haven't laid eggs yet. How do I check?

4. April73

Mar 6, 2015
    Texas
    She jut died in my arms. [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can ship her refrigerated body off to the state vet for a necropsy to check for Mareks disease and other illnesses, I would. There is a nominal fee which is different in each state, and some states, it is free. If you can't do that, you may be able to tell if she was egg bound, had a large worm load, or possibly had something stuck in her gizzard, by doing the necropsy yourself. Many here online may help you with what you see. Sorry for your loss.

6. April73

Mar 6, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you!

7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Sorry for your loss - it's always hard to lose a bird. It's also not a nice thing to have to do a necropsy, but Eggcessive is right - if you have one done (or do it yourself) then you may be able to see something that will help you prevent similar problems in your other birds. It may seem hard, especially if she was a pet rather than just a 'food producing animal', but it could save you a lot more heartache in the long run.

Obviously a necropsy by a state vet would be the best option - they can see and check for so much more stuff, but if that's not an option for you then at least have a look yourself for the most obvious problems (worms, egg binding etc.)

One word of caution - if you choose to send her for necropsy, refrigerate but don't freeze the body until you can send it off. Freezing means they can't do all the tests properly.

This thread from Casportpony tells you all you need to know:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

(edited for spelling mistakes - it's a curse being an English teacher!)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @April73 , so sorry to hear about the loss of your girl. It really hits home that these are not "just chickens" and are treasured pets (that's how it is for me anyway and a lot of others). Take care.

10. April73

Mar 6, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you! I only had her for a short time but I am very attached to my animals. I am just heartbroken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by