Desperate for some Black Runner girls!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, May 23, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Well as it would turn out, 2 of my ducklings are girls, 2 are boys. I've heard that it's good to have a higher femle-to-male ratio, so I'm wanting to get about 2-3 female ducklings. I really want them to be Runner Ducks, and I saw the Black Runners on Ideal's website and I fell in love with them! I love the F&Whites and the crested version of them dearly, and I would gladly take in few of those too. My issue is, Ideal is 3 hours exactly from where I live if I were to go and pick up some ducklings(they are located in Springfield, MO) so I don't have to order a boatload of ducks. BUT, I'm having a slightly difficult time finding someone who will drive that far with me for ducks. [​IMG] So, I was also considering purchasing 10 or whatever their minimum is, shipping them, and finding homes for the rest f them, most preferably among the members on this site. BUT, I'm not sure how many duckies anyone wants on here...or if anyone wants them at all! If there ar any Runner ducklings/juveniles around that need to be adopted/placed in a home, I will gladly choose them over ordering new ones.

I've never ordered baby poultry in the mail before, so if anyone has advice for me on what I should do, I will definitely appreciate it!

2. Mom

Mom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    thought Ideal was in TX - that's what their website says - and they will ship just a few ducks usually but they add so much for a small order to the price and usually throw in packing chicks (roosters)

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I know what you mean sparrow. My dad thought it was a far drive to get pheasant 1 hour and 30 minutes away!

4. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Ideal is in Cameron,TX way south TX. Did you mean you were going to maybe a branch or feed store or something? GL with your ducks, I too am falling in love with runners. Think I might order some soon.

5. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    You might be thinking of Cackle Hatchery. They are in MO. I was going to order from them too but ran into the same dilema. Fortunately, I found a guy that had 6 weeks old ducks for sale. That's so funny. I have been waiting to figure out the gender of my 4 khaki campbells. I am 80 percent sure that I have 2 drakes and 2 ducks. 2 quack and two have a raspy voice. Hopefully I am correct. I wanted at least 2 females for egg laying.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I was in a hurry earlier and put Ideal instead of Cackle. :mad: Duh. lol I'm so focused on getting some duckies I forgot what I was doing for a minute! [​IMG]

I'm definitely not going to be able to drive to TX to get some runners, but it's so tempting to drive 3 hrs to Cackle or Estes in MO.

I might just go ahead and place the small duckling order and pay a lot of money for it. What am I going to do with all the extra roosters that I will likely fall in love with?? hehe Anybody around here want to share a duckling order with me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by