Desperate for work, but need a duck-friendly career!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Hi guys, so here's the story...my vet assistant internship ended last week, and although I got high reviews and the vet said she'd give me an excellent recommendation, they're simply too over-staffed as it is to offer me a permanent position. The same story was said at every single exotic vet clinic in the county. :/ So until I can find work in a vet's office I'm at a loss. I can't afford to be unemployed, but I need a place where I can take Wobbles with me, which severely limits my options.

Do any of you guys have any ideas? I'm desperate!

2. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Hmmmm. Maybe an animal shelter? Or a pet boarding place?

3. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    All of the local shelters are volunteer only, and have a lot of dogs so I can't have Wobbles with me. As for pet boarding, I applied to a couple but again, they're mostly dogs, and a duck wouldn't be welcome there. :/

4. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    You might try a town vet, maybe one near farms what not. That is a normal vet, and see if they would like to take in a vet, that can do exotic animals as well as normal animals.

5. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    As I said in my OP, I've tried every vet in the entire county, even the ones that don't treat exotics! I just don't know what to do. :/

6. Gina68

Gina68 New Egg

May 20, 2011
    Just curious, but why do you feel you need to bring Wobbles with you to your job every day? Bringing any pet to a job is pretty much unacceptable. Are you worried because its imprinted? If so, I wouldnt worry about that. I had an imprinted duck during high school--I went to school every day, and I had a job. He was fine, we spent lots of time together. I did get another duck to entertain him, but he didnt seem to care--he liked my chihuahua instead. :)

7. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    She screeches bloody murder if I leave the room, let alone the house. I need to get her a buddy but we hafta wait until next year at the earliest to get one. :/

8. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Can you do petsitting either at your house or on site? If you do exotics, that might be an untapped area.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I second pet sitting. We have someone who advertises on Craigsliat that she specializes In chickens. I may end up checking her out if we go out of town. You may have to consider a job over wobbles. I don't want to sound mean but you have to have a job to feed wobbles. I assume all the vets just aren't hiring not that wobbles is the reason. Maybe grooming? That is a tough one.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Hey, that's a great idea! At the clinic my focus was on birds and reptiles. You're right, i bet it's hard to find sitters for snakes and parrots! <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by