Desperate Measures

Rebecca Nina

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2017
I have been researching caponizing(sp), is sounds a little barbaric, but I am desperately trying to keep my flock of Silkie's together. So, if anyone knows anything about this practice of caponizing, then I would love to hear from you. I know it is typically done to fatten a rooster to eat, but I have no intentions of eating my chickens and it is purely to keep my roosters and hens together. And please bear in mind that my chickens are pets, and I am not willing to kill them to resolve my flock issue, so that recommendation is not welcome. Thanks

I have been researching caponizing(sp), is sounds a little barbaric, but I am desperately trying to keep my flock of Silkie's together. So, if anyone knows anything about this practice of caponizing, then I would love to hear from you. I know it is typically done to fatten a rooster to eat, but I have no intentions of eating my chickens and it is purely to keep my roosters and hens together. And please bear in mind that my chickens are pets, and I am not willing to kill them to resolve my flock issue, so that recommendation is not welcome. Thanks
How to caponize a rooster With graphic pics

All I know about it is that your rooster will basically be a big hen he'll probably even brood eggs for you. You going to get a vet to do it or is it a DIY sort of thing?
I am going to have a Vet or a professional do it, if I decide that it will be the right thing to do and safe. Thanks for the graphic pictures of caponizing a rooster, really not necessary.

It's safe, like neutering any other animal just everything is inside. Same effects rooster will get lazy, fat,and docile. And you know you'll probably get an extra broody. Not really too bad especially if you're attached to them.
Thank you so much, I need some positive reinforcement right now, the next step will be finding someone to do it.

I am going to have a Vet or a professional do it, if I decide that it will be the right thing to do and safe. Thanks for the graphic pictures of caponizing a rooster, really not necessary.
There was a clear warning on the link that it contained graphic pictures. If you didn't want to look at them you shouldn't have clicked the link. Please realize that R2elk took the time to answer your question. If you didn't find it helpful that's fine but there's no need to be rude to someone that was trying to help you.

Thank you so much, I need some positive reinforcement right now, the next step will be finding someone to do it.
How old are these cockerels?

You are probably going to have a very tough time finding a vet willing to perform the procedure.

Back
Top Bottom