Desperate times call for desperate measures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PorkyPete, Apr 18, 2011.

1. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    My 10 week Blue Orpington has been living in an old rabbit hutch since we rescued him at 7 weeks but we have had a lot of rain lately and getting a lot more. It has been leaking a bit in the box despite being well covered, Plus he is growing like wild fire and getting a bit cramped in the hutch. So at about 5pm tonight we decided we needed to do something ASAP.

Myself and my mother set to work emptying out our wood shed and doing some repairs, Chucked up some chicken wire around the bottom half of the shed and some hardware cloth over the missing glass of the window, Popped our old recylcing bin in the corner and filled it and half of the shed with straw, The other half has plently of dirt so he can feast on bugs all he likes. Had to leave a box full of straw in there because the bottom of the box had rotted away so we couldn't remove it, But he loves sitting on it.

Got him into it at about 6:30pm, Just as it was getting dark and the skies began opening up, He showed his appreciation with lots of chirping and jumping around [​IMG] He was very happy to find he could roost on the windowsill aswell.

Its only temporary until we get round to building a proper coop but he seems pretty happy with it for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Excuse the mess in the corner of this pic, It is most of the rubbish that was in the shed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Good job on improvising something like that. He appreciates what you have done for him, or her. He will be a happier bird now.

3. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    Thanks [​IMG] He is definatly a lot happier with it, I wish I could move the shed to the yard as it would be a good frame for the coop we're going to build [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by