Desperate to find out!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NeoMummy, Dec 21, 2014.

1. NeoMummy

NeoMummy New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Tasmania
    Hi guys.
    I've joined this forum in desperation. I brought 6 unsexed chickens a few months ago, ended up with 7 as the guy threw one in as a freebie.
    Now I'm new to all this chicken keeping stuff and I'm finding it very hard to tell what is a hen and what is a rooster. Below I've attached pictures of what we have, one is confirmed rooster, but there is another one or two in question.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You will see there is a black one inside the coop that is on the small side with red comb and wattle (second last pic), next to the black one with yellow comb and wattle, the first one is the one in question? I have witnessed 'it' crowing. There is a white one there, which is leg horn cross RIR?, smallest of the group, has large comb and wattle but no crowing yet. There is light brown and white one who is confirmed a rooster as I've seen him crow and has now been collared with a No Crow Collar, hasn't crowed since fitting.
    So in the 'flock' we have 3 Australorps, 1 Leg Horn (crossed?), a Rhode Island, one brown and weird coloured one not sure of breed, and what we think is a RIR cross Leg Horn.
    Can someone help me before I have my neighbours making complaints? I'm really desperate, as the little black one with the huge ? above it's head is my 4 year old sons, and if I have to get rid of it, it will break his heart. I'm hoping I'm wrong........

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

So how old are the birds in question?

We'll need better pics of the specific bird(s) in question. Profile shots, including legs and tail are best for sexing. I can say that any bird this young that is crowing is male, so that can answer some of your questions.

3. NeoMummy

NeoMummy New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Tasmania
    I agree my picture taking skills are not the best. I will get one of the kids to help me this afternoon lol
    Thinking they are between 3 1/2 months to 4 months old. We've had them for about 3 months and were between 5 to 12 days old when we brought them.

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    They all appear pullets.Why?None of them appear to have any real roo feathering.The leghorn breed for some reason has always had large combing.The first pics look like the 1 in front with orange feathering looks to be roo.Has there been nay crowing from any others?By now they should have begun if a rooster.

I know fore sure the yellowish/orange bird in pic 3,4,and 5 is most defentintly rooster.Large combing,nice sized waddles,very type roo feathering.
    i'm leaning on the black pullet.It seems to have more pullet like structures.I need leg pictures,fully body pic of all the birds.
    The Australorp,the black hen,have had large combing as well.
    You will have nice eggs from both.
    (Also,you have a TetraTint,the 1 white/brownish hen.)

5. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    OH,I see the black bird your really talking about.All I see i sits tail???

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Eon69nc

Eon69nc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    there are 2 in there that appear to be roosters. the white and red is a red-sexlink cock and the buff one too appears to be a cock.

8. NeoMummy

NeoMummy New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Tasmania
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this is the ?hen. I had my son hold it for me. Not the best pictures. Will get some of the whole flock, hopefully, together this afternoon.

9. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Redsexlinks are look like these.[​IMG]
    Or if its a true Purbred it looks like an RIR.(BTW meat Mrs.Prissy,the Red sexlink.

10. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Also TetraTints are Leghorn RIR mixed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by