desperate to help two sick hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jhat, Oct 6, 2013.

1. jhat

jhat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    i have been searching around on this site and am more overwhelmed and confused than ever with information, sometimes conflicting.

i have one blue andalusian 1.5 yrs old who was acting very listless, not laying, not eating or drinking about a week ago. before that she was opening her mouth really wide and craning her neck. Her comb started turning blackish purple and still is. Her poop is yellow and bubbly/foamy. From info i got i thought probably worms. we isolated her treated her (and the other 18 chickens) for worms with wazine in the water. i'm sure they didn't get the full dose because they didn't drink all the water. should i do it again? like i said it has been a week. how long can the wazine water be left there? the directions say one day. is there another better more thorough or direct way to do this? i wanted to get flubenvet but can't get it here apparently. I gave her a concoction of ground pumpkin seeds, garlic, cayenne pepper, oregano oil and probiotics. she ate a little bit. she seems better now, drinking but not eating much. she still opens her mouth wide and cranes her neck sometimes. are there worms in her throat? we let her out in the yard and she pecks around and moves with more energy than before but she's still sick i think. she goes over to the fence and wants to go back in with her friends.

meanwhile i have been dosing all their water with electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, oregano oil and vetRX. we cleaned out the whole coop and put fresh pine shavings on the floor and fresh hay in the nest boxes. I put cayenne pepper in their food because i heard its good to get rid of worms and they don't mind the spice but they really didn't finish eating it as fast as they usually do. so maybe they don't like it or i put too much. i don't know...and how often should i do that?

now we have another hen who seems more sick than the first one. she is a buff orpington 1.5 yrs as well. at first i thought she was molting...weeks ago she started loosing feathers all over her body and looking really raggedy but acting totally normal. the last few days she started acting listless and weird just hiding her head under her wing and standing in the chicken yard. we checked her body for bugs and don't see any. i saw her poop yesterday...it shot out really liquidy and partly clear and it stinks worse than usual. i guess that is diarrhea. i got her to drink the vitamin water on her own. today we isolated her and she wouldn't take anything to eat or drink. we put the electrolyte water with the acv and oregano and vetRX in it in an eyedropper and shot it in her mouth. a few droppers worth but we don't know how much. and we don't really know what we are doing.

i'm so sad and mortified that they r probably suffering and i'm doing all the wrong things because i can't figure out what's going on. just making stabs in the dark. i guess i better look up a vet.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A trip to the vet is a good idea if you can afford it.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where are you located? In the US we can get quite a few wormers and antibiotics easier than other countries. A broad sprectrum wormer such as albendazole (Valbazen) can be given to each bird (dosage varies with weight 1/4 to 3/4 ml on average.) Unfortunately your chickens have symptoms that look like many illnesses. Here is one to look at and it will tell you what other diseases look similar: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps032 and

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. jhat

jhat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    we are in pawling NY. the tractor supply here only has wazine. i saw other worming meds there but seems to be only for goats, pigs, cows, horses. there was one that included turkeys but did not say chickens. i'm going to look up a vet tomorrow because it doesn't make sense for me to keep guessing while they r suffering. thanks all for trying to help!!!

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can use fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) on *all* animals, including birds, it's just not labeled for them. You'll find it in the cattle, goat and horse sections of most feedstores. You can also use albendazole (Valbazen) on poultry, but I've never seen it in a feedstore, so that would have to be ordered.

Warning - fenbendazole should not be used during molt or breeding season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Funny how the different stores carry different items...

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by