Desperate

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eight chickens, Sep 18, 2016.

1. eight chickens

eight chickens New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Hello, we have been raising our chickens well this their second summer with us. We enjoy them so much :) but for some reason they have all but quit laying. At first we thought it was the heat high 90s now the weather should be cooling down soon we are wondering if we are in need of changing something or if this is normal process for them to stop laying for awhile. I have changed the feed thinking that would help but did not. Thanks :)

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Is it possible that they could be molting? You can post in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying and folks there should be able to help out. Best of luck with your flock and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

At 2 years they should have a lot of more eggs coming.

IMO stress would be the most likely cause. And right now Molt is the top of the stress lists.

Be patient and they should start to lay again for you.

5. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    My girls stopped laying for most of the summer. Seriously it was weeks before we saw an egg from any of them. I was getting concerned but then the cooler weather came and production has improved!

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Heat will kill a hen's production quickly. Once it cools (and stays cool) they'll return to more normal production.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Most chicken breeds can handle cold much better than heat. Are you helping them deal with the heat by providing lots of shade, real or manufactured ? Plenty of cold, clean water. Shallow pans of water so chickens can stand in it and cool their feet. Cool feet = cooler chicken.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by