Desperate

eight chickens

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2016
Hello, we have been raising our chickens well this their second summer with us. We enjoy them so much :) but for some reason they have all but quit laying. At first we thought it was the heat high 90s now the weather should be cooling down soon we are wondering if we are in need of changing something or if this is normal process for them to stop laying for awhile. I have changed the feed thinking that would help but did not. Thanks :)

Hi and welcome to BYC! Is it possible that they could be molting? You can post in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying and folks there should be able to help out. Best of luck with your flock and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

At 2 years they should have a lot of more eggs coming.

IMO stress would be the most likely cause. And right now Molt is the top of the stress lists.

Be patient and they should start to lay again for you.

My girls stopped laying for most of the summer. Seriously it was weeks before we saw an egg from any of them. I was getting concerned but then the cooler weather came and production has improved!

Most chicken breeds can handle cold much better than heat. Are you helping them deal with the heat by providing lots of shade, real or manufactured ? Plenty of cold, clean water. Shallow pans of water so chickens can stand in it and cool their feet. Cool feet = cooler chicken.

Back
Top Bottom