desperate!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrskgb, Jan 9, 2015.

1. mrskgb

mrskgb Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    Hello everyone,
    I have a barred rock named Lovie that I believe has egg yolk peritonitis (very swollen abdomen, can't walk or stand for any period of time, seems tired/lethargic and labored breathing). She is almost four years old and such a sweet chicken, as you can tell by her name. I noticed her acting funny sometime last week (she was nesting with a handicapped rooster I have at night and not getting up on the roost). She is the leader of the hens and my kids and I are so sad! I just got some antibiotics from tractor supply and started to give them to her in a dropper (Oxytetracycline HCI). She still is motivated to eat, perks right up when she hears a bag, but isn't drinking on her own. Her belly is so swollen her legs are straddle like....is there anything else I can do to keep her comfortable? Her poop is normal, nothing yellow or runny....how long will she be like this before she passes? any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks! Jean

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Could you post a picture of her poop? Have you tried feeling inside her vent a little ways for her being egg bound? And I understand if this isn't an option, but is there any way you can get her to a vet?

What antibiotic do you have?

3. mrskgb

May 3, 2014
    the antibiotic is called Oxytetracycline HCI, its a soluble powder.....I can try to get a pic, I don't know if there are any vets around me that see chickens....a friend of mine who has a farm told me from what I described, she isn't going to make it :( I've never checked a vent before, tired to you tube it, but no luck and I'm scared to hurt her or stress her out....

4. mrskgb

May 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

this is a fresh dropping from her.....

5. mrskgb

May 3, 2014
    [​IMG]this is Lovie right now :(

6. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Poor baby. Hope she is ok.

7. mrskgb

May 3, 2014
    thank you BonRae67 :)

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    There is a chance she may not make it BUT there is chance she could make it. If you can call around for a vet I would. If you can't I do understand. I had a hen recently go through a bout of peritonitis. I used Bactrim (from a vet) that didn't work. I had ordered some Baytril as I was advised it would work better though it is technically banned in poultry. I ordered it online. I'll try to find the links again.

9. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    I am so sorry you are dealing with this. My bird just passed away last night with these same symptoms. I was going to try to drain her abdomen, but she died even before I could.

10. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    I would rush her to a vet to see if there is something they could do. The abdomen being full and hard is probably pushing on the lungs creating her labored breathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by