Desperately need help with bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laurita1510, Jun 16, 2016.

1. laurita1510

laurita1510 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    UK
    Hi guys. My Aylesbury ducks had bumblefoot for a while and I'm at my wit's end. She's had a lot of different antibiotics and surgery and anti inflammatory meds and still has lumps and black scabs. The vet said it's not infected it's just scar tissue but it is bleeding and my husband recons they are wrong. They have access to water and a clean run and I cover the wounds in barrier cream every night.. please help.

2. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I used epsom salt warm swim/soaks, undiluted hydrogen peroxide soaks, clear iodine ( use only once every 7 days or so), vetericyn spray and coconut oil on my first case of bumblefoot.

I didn't do surgery to remove the scab and I didn't bandage it.

It cleared the black scab and helped healthy tissue grow back in.

I had an appointment with an exotic animal vet who was willing to give a try to treating ducks. I kept him in the loop with pictures and the day of the appointment we mutually decided not to bring her in due to 1) extreme unseasonable temps over 90 and 2) no longer limping, black scab gone and healthy tissue filling in.

That was almost a month ago and it has since completely healed over with healthy skin.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @laurita1510

How are things today?

4. laurita1510

Aug 7, 2015
    UK
    I'm afraid to say that my little duck has died. X

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry for your loss. :( :hugs

6. laurita1510

Aug 7, 2015
    UK
    Thank you. I feel so like I failed her. Do you think the metacam killed her? There was s nasty storm could the shock of that kill her? X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by