Desperately need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by griemar, Nov 23, 2011.

1. griemar

griemar Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    It's been quite a while since I've posted here, but I'm back with an emergency. On mothers day last year I purchased 2 ducklings for my wife and recently (3 days ago) we lost one to what I think was a preditor. The problem that I am running into is that our black runner is now all alone without a companion and it's temper has gotten horrible. For the past several months they were both free range. They had full run of our yard 24/7 and would come running anytime we were outside and even when they heard the car coming down the driveway. Our black runner was the follower, it wouldnt do anything unless our other duck did it first. Now, it has stopped eating, is constantly calling for our other duck and has become REALLY agressive twards everyone in the family. If you approuch it and get more then 5 feet of it, it'll crouch down and growl. Anyone that doesnt get away then gets chased and bitten. I've managed a few times to catch it and calm it enough to pet, carress and calm it, but as soon as you let it go, it begins the agressive behavior again. What makes all of this worse is that I live in south western Minnesota and dont know anyone in the area that has any ducks! I'm terrified that our poor runner is going to die now of loneliness or worse yet, starve itself to death. If anyone lives in the area that would be willing to sell any of thier ducks or if anyone can help suggest a way to help our poor runner in this horrible time, I would greatly apreciate it. My wife and kids are a wreck over all of this and I feel so horrible.

P.S. sorry for saying "it" but I have no clue of it's sex. I think it's a male, but not sure.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I am so sorry! That would be stressful for sure. Why not put a Craigs List ad up, or check out your local Craig's list. Somebody's bound to have a duck for you.

Good luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Sharon

3. griemar

May 9, 2011
    Just checked both craigslist and a local site called marshall trader, sadly I ran into a dead end and found no listings. Does anyone think that if I brought it inside and kept it with us, it may calm down and accept us as it's flock? Also, if anyone is curious as to where I live, I'm in the Montevideo area. That's Minnesota for anyone who may have missed it in the first post.

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    It would help to know your duck's sex when you get it a new friend. If it is a girl, it will "quack" loudly and clearly. A drake will make a raspy sound and part of the year will have a curly tail feather or two. I'm sorry I'm nowhere near to you, I agree that Craig's list is a good place to post a "Wanted" ad. I had good luck a couple of springs ago finding a friend for an only duckling that way. Turns out it was a breed that I am breeding anyways, it was a great addition to my flock.

If you have a girl, get either sex, but if its a boy, you will probably want to get a girl. If your duck is really loud, I'd guess its a girl. Good luck!

5. griemar

May 9, 2011
    Carol, you answered on of my questions! It's definately a male then. He has a raspy quack and several of his tail feathers are curled. Kinda cute looking actually. Strange that you would mention that a loud quack could indicate a female. When he's calling for our other duck, he's definately trying to be heard, lol. Thanks for the info.

6. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Hi- 2 thoughts- try petfinder.com > They often have farm animals in need of homes. They are a rescue site, so you would be doing a good deed! Or, get an incubator and hatch a few, You would have Christmas ducklings!! Good luck!!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could bring him indoors, if you're willing to adjust your activities and space.

I have used a puppy pen over heavy duty plastic to house my almost-adult ducks when the weather did not cooperate. And it was used for their storm shelter for a while.

The guy seems traumatized, and having company is a good idea. I'm surprised there's no one in Minnesota with ducks to share. But then, what do I know? [​IMG]

There's another BYC forum about buy, selling, etc. so perhaps you could send your plea out through that venue also. Sure hope things start looking up for everybody.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had my duckling/duck in the house from hatch till 4 months. they can do fine in the house you may even want to consider a diaper harness, but I'm sure he is missing his mate, hope you can find him a new one soon. Drakes do have more problems with dominance and this may be an on going thing with him, but hopefully you can find him a mate and he will not be inside for long, you also have to take into consideration the cold outside warm inside can cause health problems. I wish you all the best as you look for a mate for him.. and so sorry for your loss. I would also work on a more secure pen if you had a predator visit, they will be back.

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Maybe there are no CL listings for ducks, but maybe if you put out a wanted, 1 duck, somebody may have one they are willing to part with.

10. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    When I needed a duckling to keep my singleton company, I advertised in the farm section for wanted a duckling to keep mine company. (Craig's list) I only got one response, but I was glad to get it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by