Desperately need niacin and other advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmberCamilia, Feb 28, 2017.

1. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello everyone. I have two Pekin ducks, one female and one male, both are seven weeks old.

Last week I took my male, Jasper, to the vet for leg problems and discovered he had a niacin deficiency. The doctor gave him an injection and advised me to start supplementing him. I began put 100mg of niacin per every gallon of water and giving him that. A week later and no change. In fact, he's worse.

Today I brought him back to the vet and learned that he is, indeed, progressing worse. One of his back legs is locked up and the other is trying to. The vet told me to start adding 200mg niacin per gallon of water and sent me home with some liquid calcium to give him. The vet was concerned but was trying to be hopeful. He said that even if he does make it through, he may never be able to use his one leg and possibly the other as well.

I am not going to give up on Jasper and I need some tips on what to do for his legs. I asked the vet if giving him warm baths and moving his legs a little will help and he said yes. What else can I do? I know there's so many of you out there who have been through this and I want to know what you have done and what helps.

Currently I am crushing up plain Niacin tablets and putting them in his water but they do not dissolve completely. Is there something else I can buy? I've looked everywhere and the tablets are the only thing I've found that semi-work.

Please, any suggestions will help and I will deeply appreciate them. Thank you.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    nutritional yeast from the health food store

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @AmberCamilia You said the vet gave you liquid calcium? you could try smashing some thawed lil green peas and putting the calcium mixed in with them and see if he'll take them that way. As for niacin when crushed you have to keep the niacin mixed in the water it wants to settle at the bottom. . Or try getting Nutritional yeast at a health food store and start adding it to their feed 1 tab per cup of feed. Swim time in nice warm water is very good to help keep the legs moving just never leave him unattended. Hopefully someone who has been through this with their duckling will be here this evening.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you so much Miss Lydia. I just gave him a warm bath and he used his "good" leg expectionally better than he has been. I feel like it's a small (huge) miracle. I'm going to keep giving him his "therapy sessions" (the bath time) and hope all will go back to normal.

5. BellaTweety

BellaTweety Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Unfortunately I don't have the experience and knowledge to give any sort of advice, but I wish the best for Jasper and hope he recovers!

6. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you Bella! I hope so too. Good news though -- he just preened a little! He was washing his chest and wing (which I haven't seen him do in a week). I believe if that one leg gets better then he'll perk right up.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @AmberCamilia that is great news!! Just like us when we have an injury warm water can help the muscles relax so hopefully the warm soaks will help. Please keep us updated on how Jasper is doing. If you can do water therapy a couple times a day that would be even better. Just make sure he doesn't get chilled after.

8. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    So I figured out that Jasper eats A LOT better when I mix his food with some water (why didn't I think of that sooner?). Which means he's eating better now and hopefully that alone will help him regain some strength. If you all pray, we could use some prayers this way! I believe he's a strong little guy and will pull out of this. I'll keep you all updated.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We sure will be praying and pulling for Jaspers recovery. My ducks love what I call duck soup.

If you have time too you might try some Epsom salt compress on his legs, take half cup of ES place into a bowl of nice warm water put a soft cloth in let it soak it up real good then just wring till it's not dripping wrap leg and let it sit for at least 5 mins or until duckling says he's had enough. This can help with inflammation and swelling but they cannot drink this solution it is also a laxative.

10. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh that sounds like a wonderful idea. I will definitely start doing this for Jasper. I can't stand to see him in misery :( thank you for that tip!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by