Desperately seeking a quiet roo.UPDATE: Got one!Araucana

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by magsrags, Dec 20, 2008.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I know..........I know......no such bird. BUT.....somewhere........someplace..... isn't there a roo out there with a terribly "quiet voice"I can adopt? I am so frustrated. I can't have roos if only for their crow/noise. Otherwise no-one would care here.
    I know there are some out there with problems crowing but are otherwise happy & healthy???? Maybe that is my only solution to at least getting ONE for my flock. Got one for me?

I feel like Will Smith in the movie "I am Legend" trying to find an answer to my call at the South Street seaport every day at noon.
    [​IMG]

UPDATE:
    OK, the miracle has happened! Got Mr. jackson last Sunday and he is a PERFECT gentleman with my ladies! No crowing!
    An wonderful Araucana from a new BYC friend. We did a fun swap and everyone is thrilled.
    Meet the new man of the roost!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You would think with as many members as there are here, we could find a roo with a genetic defect that affects crowing.

Then we could develop multiple lines in varying breeds.

If there are wingless chickens certainly there have to be 'crowless' ones? Wouldn't you think?

3. farmboy

farmboy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    I have a roo that I have honestly never heard crow. He is 3-4 years, and is a cross with a beard. I live in Ga though.

4. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I can only hope.[​IMG] I want fertile eggs we can hatch here and just do the life cycle as it should be. But because of city ordinances a roo would just be complained about. I've had to rehome 3 roos so far and that really hurt. I hatch all my own and want one to stay put and be the man of the yard to wath over my hens.
    I hope there is someone out there with one. he'd ive a nice life with us and rule the roost.

5. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:REally? Well fill me in.:<))

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:So START a breeding program and see how many "crowless" EE's you can come up with.

You could end up making big $ if it's a genetic trait! If you can, find out who is mamma and daddy are!

7. farmboy

Nov 8, 2008
    I am not sure of the parentage because I got him from a sale as a started chick. I had some roos off of him, but they crowed. They were game crosses.

8. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:So START a breeding program and see how many "crowless" EE's you can come up with.

You could end up making big $ if it's a genetic trait! If you can, find out who is mamma and daddy are!

Wow, that'd be some accomplishment! They'd sell across the land![​IMG]

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I have some Silkies that I haven't heard crow yet, except for one. But his crow didn't sound like a crow at all. More like a quiet sigh or something. It was like 'errrrrr'. Very quiet. They are 15 weeks old now. They are the same age as my sebright cockerels and they are crowing up storms every day!

10. farmboy

Nov 8, 2008
    I would have to try that. I will place him with my ee's and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by