Desperately seeking laying hens and roo in Downeast Maine

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by NavyWife, Apr 25, 2009.

1. NavyWife

NavyWife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2007
    Ellsworth, Maine
    We moved into a new home last summer. I desperately want to begin rebuilding my flock...could not have chickens during the moving/building process! ~:0( I have many chicks on order from M.McM's to arrive in July but cannot wait that long to get started!!!! I miss them! My DH has completed my coop renovations and says we are ready to begin again but I am having a hard time finding laying hens...anyone know where in Maine I could round up 10-12 started hens? I will need a roo, too! Not at all concerned about the breed but do want standard to heavy sizes, I don't think I want bantams. Thanks!!!! ~:0)

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I have pm'd you.
    hoppy

3. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
  4. elcunni75

elcunni75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    SE MA
    I have a NH Red roo who will be 1yo in June I am hoping to part with. I don't have girls of his kind and need to be short one roo, DH says, so I can hopefully breed others.
    I'm down in SE MA and need to be up toward Portland soon!

Thank you for your time!

Erin

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know how much you are looking to spend but my marans are POL and I have decided to focus on my ameraucana and araucana. I have feather legged cuckoo and bc marans.....

6. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Are you looking for more of a friendly rooster or just one that will "get the job done," if you know what I mean;)

7. NavyWife

NavyWife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2007
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Thank you so much to klf73 and her family for hooking me up with my new flock! Everyone is settling in and doing very well. So I now have 11 hens and 9 roos. I have decided to keep 3 roosters and now have 6 excess...if anyone would like some beautiful, free marans roosters I have some Black Coppers, and Cuckoos. They are absolutely gorgeous birds and if I had more hens I would definately keep them but I am afraid it is just too much "action" for these girls. ~:0)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by