desperately seeking Pyncheons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sandiklaws, Jan 28, 2014.

1. sandiklaws

sandiklaws Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a tiny group of these wonderful birds and need to find birds with the correct willow (carrying both slate and yellow leg genes) legs to work my guys back towards the correct SOP. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would consider any smooth leg bantam rooster with willow legs at this point as I am at a complete dead end.

2. sandiklaws

sandiklaws Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Sandi, the only person I know of that raises pyncheons is Pyncheon Guy. Hinkjc use to raise them, but evidently no longer. They might be a contact to someone who does. You're pretty sharp, so you probably are way ahead of me. Good luck!

4. Fowl Mouth

Fowl Mouth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Midwest USA
    Few months late in my reply, but Welp Hatchery has them for sale, but I would imagine they are far from the SOP... however, some hatchery stock can surprise you. I have yet to order anything from Welp, so your guess is as good as mine as to leg color and type.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  5. paris_r

paris_r Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Nolanville TX
  6. Dovemaiden

Dovemaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Flaming Gorge, Utah
    Very late reply but how is your breeding program progressing?
    I've worked with these a long time now, and the problems with Pyncheons and the SOP go beyond just shank color.
    You've probably noticed that.
    They are very hard to find.

If you are breeding them and intend to just address shank color to start, there is no shame in using yellow-legged birds to initially outcross.

The white shank alleles the modern Pyncheons display is incorrect, and unfortunately a dominant gene.

To address the problem, use a first-gen cross with a yellow-legged bantam.

Also, I would highly recommend you use a red-ginger male that is yellow-shanked for your initial cross to correct ground-color on the Mille Fleur pattern.

It is difficult to find the red-gingers, but they are out there.

7. Dovemaiden

Dovemaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Flaming Gorge, Utah
    I posted a photo on the other thread about the bay ground color for the Mille Fleur pattern. I'll try to post a couple more photos, if it helps. IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1347.JPG DSCN6146.JPG IMG_1347.JPG DSCN6146.JPG IMG_1347.JPG DSCN6146.JPG DSCN6146.JPG DSCN6146.JPG DSCN6146.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by