Despondent young hen - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by danwald, Feb 13, 2011.

1. danwald

danwald New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    Our 5.5 month white leg horn hen is usually the top of the pecking order! Over the last several days she been not playing, not eating, not drinking, hardly moving. She usually stands, slouched, in one place with her eyes closed. She has not yet produced eggs, but we are expecting that now is about the time and expecting her to begin soon. They have been nutritious grower crumble and kitchen scraps. They are free range. Some other information:

- It is a bit chilly out still
    - We have separated her and she is under a heat lamp
    - She is very docile, which is unlike her
    - We have dropped mineral oil into her beak
    - We have inspected her vent and applied a damp cloth to the area
    - Since she is not eating, she is not pooping, but I think she pooped very liquidy, green last night
    - She got up on a roost yesterday (pile of bricks) evening and we found her in the same position this morning. She did not attempt to go down into her coop last night. Was still standing in the very same place this morning. (I have since separated her again and put her under the lamp.)

Any ideas on how to save our poor chicken? We fear that she will soon pass on without intervention!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't know what to tell you to help your chicken, but here's a "bump". I'm sure someone will have some suggestions.
    I'm sorry if this is what brought you to BYC, but [​IMG]

You can also check the learning center for diseases.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Not eating and not pooping sounds like an impacted crop. Is she drinking at all? Have you tried to give her soft treats such as scrambled egg or very well cooked rice (no hard spots)? What about some smashed strawberries or blueberries or applesauce or even grated apples without the skin.

Any other symptoms? Difficulty breathing or walking?

If she does have an impacted crop a crop massage sometimes works but most often it doesn't. The green poop tells me that she is starving and what you are seeing is bile. She if you can get her to eat. PM me if you like. Good luck with her. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Is her comb and wattles nice and bright red or dull and pink. What about her eyes?

Have you checked her all over THOUROUGHLY for injuries? Look inside her mouth to see if anything looks unusual.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. danwald

danwald New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    In isolation, we've tried giving her soft tomato (her favorite) but really hardly any interest - just a peck here or there. Same with drinking - she will take a sip now and then. I can try giving her some softer foods.

She seems like she CAN walk and breathe. She may be shivering. When she tries to walk she can fine. Yesterday, as I mentioned, she was able to fly up on top of a tall pile of bricks to roost. She definitely has food available. Since I first wrote there seems to have been a small, regular-consistency brown poop in her confinement.

Her comb and wattles are dull and the comb is slumped over the the side. Her eyes are mostly closed, but when open they look okay - maybe a little red around the eyes.

I have looked all over her body. I am an amateur, but her butt looks like fine, without obstruction. There is an opaque, off-white liquid around her feathers near the but.

She is very weak and her white feathers are dirty. She has not had the energy to preen. I will try to look at her mouth again and get back to you.

5. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    one of my RIR hens is young and had been laying for a month. she usually likes to go outside and is first out, but she stayed in one day and i thought it was strange but didnt think much of it. next day same thing but looked wierd, keeps her head under wing like shes always sleeping, and shes very flat and round like. she went in nest box once but nothing happened. i thought she might be egg bound but i felt and i dont feel anything or see anything. little pebble like poop on her back end tho, is this what your hen is doing? she also wont roost. let me know how it goes with your girl, they sound to have similar symptoms and i just dont know what to do for her!

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    danwald did you get my e-mail? How is she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by