despur a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by augiedranch, Jul 14, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    just wondering if i could trim my roosters spurs, file them down, or completley remove them... he is tearing up my hens, and a saddle is not an option for my hens. thanks for any help

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Try searching this topic, there have been many questions about it lately.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

you can cut them with pet nail clippers, you can file them down with a rotary tool, or you can pull them off all together. Search the archives. We had a long conversation about it a while back.

4. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    im sorta new, so i dont know how to search archieves, or do a search on something. can someone show me how and i will.

willl pulling them off altogether hurt them?

thanks

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Go to the top and a blue bar is there that has different topics, click on SEARCH and when it asks for keyword put in spurs, I am doing this right now myself, that is how I came across your post. And if you rip them off I do believe it does hurt

Search CLIP AND SPUR just like that and you will get an article down a little ways Can you clip a roosters spurs, Thats a good one: Dont use the hot potatoe method [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  6. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thanks i found it!

whats that mean clip a roosters spurs- thats a good one??? is that a dumb question??? my roosters sit in my lap and follow me around like a dog,, so im not worried about them hurting me, just my hens.. and the occasional rat terrior.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by